WILD Speculation - Halo is Now

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

WILD Speculation - Halo is Now

Unread post by Dalthanas »

This is crazy. I don't even believe it, but I feel I should write it.

I'm sure most of you know about the new JJ Abrams movie coming out. The one with the trailer during Transformers, with no name. It's been codenamed Cloverfield (also heard it called Slusho, but I don't like that), and only listed the date - 1.18.08.

Now there are a ton of theories out there as to what this is. Apparently the production company said it involves creature being called "The Parasite". People have suggested it's a movie dealing with Cthulhuand the return of ancients to kill us.

When my brother saw the film he said "I feel like that's Halo." To which I said "pffffft." But he just started training at an XBOX call center and was talking with his instructor about the movie and mentioned he thought it was Halo, and she just winked at him and ended the conversation. I still didn't buy it.

But with this Jonas thing, randomly disappearing, could it be that he saw evidence of a covenant scouting party, or something clicked about something he had scene being forerunner leftovers or something? Imagine, you're making yourself a PB&J sandwich, and look at the window and see a Grunt slinking around, or see the SOTA pictures in the newspaper (think in game, not viral marketing) and sprint out the door. Could Iris actually be leading up to not only Halo 3 but also to Halo: Theatre Evolved (working title).

I still don't buy it... but I think there's an outside chance. Now, like Johnny Storm, flame on.

I think Jonas' involvement in the ARG story arc indicates that there is more going on in OUR time in the Halo Universe than perhaps we first thought. If this crazy, wild, speculation turns out to be true in any way, I think Iris will be paving the way for that announcement.

Perhaps worth a lock, but maybe also a read before it gets buried :geek:

Edit after the two points combined by Av: I meant to write this originally but forgot. With the creature being called "The Parasite" images of the flood are certainly evoked in me, and if you look to artists interpretations of what Cthulhu might look like, it's similar to what the flood have looked like since Halo CE - I always thought the mutated bipeds looked like angry squid men. Also, thanks for the faith in my lunacy. Lets see where this goes!
Last edited by Dalthanas on Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Re: WILD Speculation - Halo is Now

Unread post by Avateur »

I combined your two posts. I'm all up for WILD Speculation. It's fun. Hell, I even suggested that AdjutantReflex was human-made a while back, just for the fun of it. If Bungie's HALO Story Bible is as intricate as we've been led to believe, and seeing as how it dates back to the Cradle of Civilization, I'm sure they have 2007 covered in there. We may actually be part of HALO history, written and acted out (like puppets! WOO!). I won't lock this, even if it goes nowhere. :)
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Everyone knows JJ's movie is VOLTRON. ;)

Okay, seriously--I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the instructor for an XBOX call center is probably not going to be kept in the loop about Microsoft's movie studio agreements. But I do think it would be cool to do a Halo movie the way Abrams is apparently shooting this one, all cinema verité and such, rather than in the style of an overblown summer blockbuster. Less about retelling the story of the games all over again and more like the radio drama in "I Love Bees," just regular people on the ground reacting to a Covenant invasion. In fact, I'd be much more excited for that than "...starring The Rock as Master Chief and Megan Fox as Cortana."
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Oh agreed about the instructor. Thats why I still didn't believe (and still don't know if I do), but I agree about the style if this in fact what is going on. In terms of who is kept in the loop, it's pretty crazy who they get up here in Waterloo Region. My brother is just an entry level helper monkey, and they've been trained by people who have been on the dev team since day one of the original Xbox.

We won't really know until it's revealed what the movie is (there seems to be a little viral/ARG thing for this movie as well, and thats not a rabbit hole I'm ready to jump down), but it seems to fit better than I originally thought. It may also just end up being a Peter Jackson-esque remake of Gahzrilla though.
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

From the Halo 3 website, about halo/Characters
The Flood (sometimes called The Parasite by The Covenant) is a virulent, parasitic...
Huh.
Twigge
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Twigge »

But the Flood had not been released at the time when the movie is set.
Horizon
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Horizon »

Maimbot 9000 wrote:Everyone knows JJ's movie is VOLTRON. ;)

Okay, seriously--I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the instructor for an XBOX call center is probably not going to be kept in the loop about Microsoft's movie studio agreements. But I do think it would be cool to do a Halo movie the way Abrams is apparently shooting this one, all cinema verité and such, rather than in the style of an overblown summer blockbuster. Less about retelling the story of the games all over again and more like the radio drama in "I Love Bees," just regular people on the ground reacting to a Covenant invasion. In fact, I'd be much more excited for that than "...starring The Rock as Master Chief and Megan Fox as Cortana."
That is exactly what Peter Jackson is doing with his new Project Halo: Arms Race.
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by MulletedOne »

Maimbot 9000 wrote:Everyone knows JJ's movie is VOLTRON. ;)
Time for a Captain Obvious statement. Voltron is being done by someone else, lol, Abrams wants America to have a new iconic monster other than that King Kong thing Peter Jackson did.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

Yeah, but did J.J. ask what America wanted?

No, because he knew the answer wouldn't be a Halo movie with his name anywhere near it.

Is it really going to be exciting watching New york get pummeled by a giant monster? I mean, I loved "The Host" (watching Korea get pummeled by a giant monster), but I'm more than a bit tired of New York being blown apart lately. Sorry J.J. :|

/rant
ChiliDog
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ChiliDog »

iunno man. the whole screaming thing that the monster did sounds like screams of the flood in halo 2. BUT i dont see why this thing would want to rip off lady liberty's head.