Orpheus - Story of Halo... via Terminals?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Orpheus - Story of Halo... via Terminals?

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Bane: You say I'm being too literal and then you say the only way the Orpheus reference would work is if the story of Cortana and MC exactly followed the myth? How about, MC goes to get Cortana back from a bad place, and fails? There's your Orpheus reference.

I know you weren't saying the Forerunners created the moon; I just made that extrapolation on my own. Since the Orpheus collision created the conditions for life as we know it, and we suspect the Forerunners liked to meddle with life, I thought it might be cool if they'd been responsible for that initial event. Eh, I'm probably wrong, it just sounded cool to me. :)
Twigge
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Twigge »

BaneRDX wrote:My theory is that Cortana goes into the final stage of rampancy and that's why, during the cut scene from E3, we see her fall to her knees.
This seems very likely to me. They have taken a lot of plot items from Marathon and we haven't seen a lot of rampancy in Halo's plot. Cortana has been showing signs of rampancy for a while--ever since she entered the core back in Halo: CE. And in Halo 2, there's tons of evidence that she may be in the early stages of rampancy.

And she certainly is in a great place to go rampant. The High Charity computer has got to be pretty damn large.
RoboChocobo wrote:I doubt Cortana will be evil per say.
Rampancy isn't really evil. It's more a large gain in self-awareness, mental ability, and perhaps destructive impulse--thought most often in defense. It's highly dependent on the size of the computer the rampant AI is inhabiting. The larger it is, the more the AI is able to expand in 'size.' Often, things that a rampant AI does are extremely beneficial to the creator of the AI, although the means distasteful.

For example: In Marathon, a rampant AI, Durandal, calls the Pfhor (the aliens) and leads them to the human colony of Tau Ceti. Of course the Pfhor enslaved many humans and destroyed the colony, but Durandal's move, although partially done because he was in the "anger" stage of rampancy, allowed for messages warning about the Pfhor to reach Earth, benefiting a great deal many.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

Twigge wrote:
Rampancy isn't really evil. It's more a large gain in self-awareness, mental ability, and perhaps destructive impulse...
Like Lt. Cmdr. Gary Mitchell in the pilot episode of Star Trek, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." Classic.

Erm, sorry. As you were... :)
Omega Hunter 9
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Omega Hunter 9 »

Frogwart wrote:
Twigge wrote:
Rampancy isn't really evil. It's more a large gain in self-awareness, mental ability, and perhaps destructive impulse...
Like Lt. Cmdr. Gary Mitchell in the pilot episode of Star Trek, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." Classic.

Erm, sorry. As you were... :)
No, never be sorry about a perfectly placed Star Trek reference. (second pilot actually). Also, consider the phrase that power currupts. Perhaps a Cortana fused even more power from Gravemind could have currupted her personality.
BaneRDX
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by BaneRDX »

[/quote]
No, never be sorry about a perfectly placed Star Trek reference. (second pilot actually). Also, consider the phrase that power corrupts. Perhaps a Cortana fused even more power from Gravemind could have corrupted her personality.[/quote]

Power doesn't corrupt, it's the choices we make that corrupt us. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.