StarImage3 Update

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

StarImage3 Update

Unread post by c2h6o »

I overlaid the StarImage 1, 2, & 3 in a cheap photo editing suite. The opacities of each image is 33%, since there are three images, and thus any overlapping stars will in theory have a brightness of 100%. Then I adjusted the contrast to make the bright stars brighter and the dim ones dimmer.

Feel free to improve on my comparisons, especially if you have Photoshop. :ugeek:

Now that we have 3 images, maybe its time to start looking for some more constellations??
Attachments
"overlay" feature
"overlay" feature
comparison3.png (94.39 KiB) Viewed 15666 times
comparison2.png
comparison2.png (56.67 KiB) Viewed 15762 times
Last edited by c2h6o on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Van Helsing
Moderator [Designated]

Re: StarImage3 Update

Unread post by Van Helsing »

I think we should line the images up using the guides provided with each JPG in Photoshop,

They're probably left in for a reason,

(or is that what you have done?)
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

No, I just lined up the glyphs. I don't have photoshop. :cry:
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

I agree about the gridlines, many of the stars in the center appear to not overlap.
CtrlAltDestroy
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by CtrlAltDestroy »

The result is the same when you line it up with either method.
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

I'm thinking that MS posted the server 3 update earlier than anyone had expected. ||Otntem|| (sry, spelling) had a post about how it would be in early August, and had an awesome theory about how it had to do with the moon. But, here it is and most of the clues have yet to be analyzed.

Has anyone found anything else in the star images?
Freik
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Freik »

I believe I have an answer! :D
Before I came here I started messing around in photoshop with the starmaps and trying to align them. I adjusted the brightness and contrast so I could clearly see the glyphs and noticed the SAME stars on the same "circles" of the glyphs. Though when lined up they were in slightly different positions which means one of two things. 1) The maps show a time laps or 2) The maps build a 3 dimensional star map. I think it's 2 (mainly because it's more exciting and challenging)
I also noticed another interesting pattern. Just for this explanation, I'll call the arm of the glyph with the circle arm 1. On the 2d map, When the stars are aligned, arm 1 on Map 3 is aligned with arm 4 (when moving clockwise) on Map 1. Assuming the pattern continues, arm 1 of Map 4 will be on the 4th arm of Map 2. Also, when all the maps are placed into a 3rd dimension, the glyphs should all look as one.

So, Here's an image of the alignment:
NOTE: When I was aligning I aligned the "Earth" with the small bump on it's lower right corner (the moon?)
RoflSalad
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by RoflSalad »

To Freik:
It's a nice thought. Certainly a good idea. :D

Seeing as I have no shopping skills, I cannot make of any way to show this. I also can't really grasp the concept of a 3D plane, I'd rather stick to a flat world... ;) But... perhaps, rotate each image so that the 'moon hand' (as I'm calling it) of AR's so that they match the first. So yes, the symbol itself is out of place, but the stars will rotate in turn with the moon.
Freik
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Freik »

I tried that, and it looks even more out of place. I think this weekend I might buy some projector sheets and try to line it up. Another thing I might try will be to place each of the images on there own planes in some 3d modeling software and see what I come out with. So many things to try, so little time.
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

What do you mean by this 3rd dimension; it seems as if you are just rotating the images in the same 2D plane.