StarImage3 Update

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Ibeechu
Moderator [Designated]

Re: StarImage3 Update

Unread post by Ibeechu »

c2h6o wrote:Please humor my Ralphie reference.
Ah! I didn't make the connection until just then. All Ovaltine hijinks aside, this thread is goin' off the rails like a crazy train.
INITIATE("PutThreadBackOnTopic.exe");
>>INITIATING...
>>THREAD IS NOW BACK ON TOPIC.
>>PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE.
*Ibeechu presses "H"
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

Choo-chooo!

Please let me back on. Thank you.
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

c2h6o wrote:
EliteSniper177 wrote:wait, does anyone else see, what looks like text, beginning to form from the small yellow stars here?
I saw those lines also. Wonder if they mean anything? Maybe its a connect-the-dots of Master Chief.
If it is a connect-the-dots of Master Chief I am going to be so pissed :lol:
Facultas Tempestas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Facultas Tempestas »

Actually it reminds me of the pic that came with the Iris fanpack. The Iris logo to the left, with the words "Look for the signs. The keepers of the flame they will lead you to war, and perhaps, to victory." Doesn't look like its gonna say the same thing, but the setup is the same. We're prolly gonna need all five starmaps to know what the heck its saying.
Donkk
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Donkk »

hey. new here. i was playing around with the pictures and noticed that if you turn up the contrast all the way, the icon disappears. i've only done this with the individual pictures as i do not have a program that will composite them together. has anyone tried this with all the pictures lined up? is it even possible :?:
Omega Hunter 9
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Omega Hunter 9 »

Donkk wrote:hey. new here. i was playing around with the pictures and noticed that if you turn up the contrast all the way, the icon disappears. i've only done this with the individual pictures as i do not have a program that will composite them together. has anyone tried this with all the pictures lined up? is it even possible :?:
Boom

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=883
Donkk
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Donkk »

sry but that's not what i ment
Omega Hunter 9
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Omega Hunter 9 »

Ooh, you meant on top of each other.

http://www.bungie.net/fanclub/118020/Fo ... eater1-p=1

Better?
Donkk
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Donkk »

it would be if I new the group that the post belongs to. bungie.net won't let me read it otherwise. "Access Denied!"

Edit: Never mind. Found it.
alstrong
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by alstrong »

c2h6o wrote:Here's a comparison where only the stars that appear only once are shown.
You know, this reminds me of the concept of a gravitational mirror, where for example, a black hole is in between an observer and a light source. The gravitational forces would bend the light creating a set of virtual images.

This should illustrate the above (borrowed from astrosurf.com)

Now, in StarImages 1 and 3 we see multiple copies of certain stars. The existence of a black hole could explain why there are mirrored images of these stars you've outlined. Some stars don't change at all. That could be because these stars are closer to us than a hypothetical black hole.

Between 1&3 those same stars appear to shift towards the right... Following the black hole idea, it's possible there could be more than one black hole. Referencing the pic above, imagine a system of gravitational fields influencing the position of the virtual images. Now put different velocities on each of these gravitational fields (black holes)...

Now ask, "Why do a bunch of stars seemingly disappear in StarImage2?" Perhaps the black holes were in position to absorb their light as theypassed through space. Note, those stars don't have to be pulled into the black hole, just the light... hence a reappearance in StarImage3....

Edit: the proper term for it is gravitational lensing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_lensing