Server 3 Content General Discussion

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Yawar
Data [Conditional]

Re: Server 3 Content General Discussion

Unread post by Yawar »

Hawking reminds me of hawks, which remind me of falcons, which connects to Yeat's poem, The Second Coming.

Umm, but yeah. Hawking's big thing for most people was the idea of black-holes and, more recently, the idea that they aren't totally black. If the formula's supposed to key you to Hawking, we could need to be looking for black holes or tiny rings around black holes. But the Hawking connection could be a red herring.
Sable
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Sable »

Am I really the only one who has a copy of this book? Okay, wow.

Anyhow. The pictures I took of the Equation are on page 107, and page 108 of the book is just more description of the Equation and its application, noting particularly its dependence on linear space-time to generate correct values.

I really don't think this has anything to do with much...
live faust:die jung
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by live faust:die jung »

can you maybe provide the full text (in a scan even maybe) of that page (108)? there may be something there...

with 'modus' being 'mode', maybe we're looking for some sort of mathematical mode. maybe we will need the text from the middle of the page to unlock the next server. maybe we will need something silly like the most common word on that particular page.

i still think it may have something to do with inverting the page or the letters or some such. if you can provide that page, i would be very grateful as it would give me something new to mull over.
(well, i may be going to the library soon to see if i can get ahold of a copy myself... ;) )
Omega Hunter 9
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Omega Hunter 9 »

Well, in math, the mode is the observation or number in a series of observations or numbers that occurs the most frequently. So we need to look for repeating signs.
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

Sable wrote:Am I really the only one who has a copy of this book? Okay, wow.
heh, well i went to a bookstore to find it a week ago, and at over $50(CAD), it's not in the books, as it were. Aside from copying the text of page 108, I got what I could from the pages, and IMO, there's not much to be had aside from the topic of the pages which deals with time synchronization and such, which is pretty much covered by the fact we know it's Schrodinger's equation.
sassafras
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by sassafras »

Sable, I have the book and I kicked myself when you found it and I hadn't even thought of looking at it. I don't think I had opened it's cover since I used it for a modern science philosophy course I took a few years ago. :)
Flood55
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Flood55 »

Sable, does page 108 of Hawking's book say anything about a Density Matrix in it?
MC_
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by MC_ »

Is it possible to type the equation out, so you could copy and paste it and such?

Has anyone tried understanding the meaning of any of the random symbols on some of the videos/images? I tried looking at the some on the video on server 3, and found that they were each composed of a combination/group of similarly-lengthed bars extending from either the top or bottom...