Server 3 Content General Discussion

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Fancy Shmancy
Data [Conditional]

Re: Server 3 Content

Unread post by Fancy Shmancy »

the equation looks to me like the vector psi naught equals the square root of the quantity m over pi end quantity times e (with the - above and to the right of it possibly noting the e as an electron or electron's charge).

first of all, the term 'naught' is commonly used when a given symbol is going to be reused throughout a series of equations, but its value will be altered, which would generally be noted as psi sub one, psi sub two, etc.

also, the line over top is a shorthand or alternative symbol used to denote a vector, which is usually noted by a 'hat' or ^ over top of the variable/vector.

in addition, psi is typically used to represent a wave function.

i would assume that due to the inclusion of the greek psi, that this is an equation of human origin, furthermore, i would assume that the m and e (note: possibly e-) are also common human values or variables.

according to my quick and rough calculations, psi naught equals 1.533626292 when m is a meter and e is the mathematical constant e.

if e is taken as the charge of an electron instead, psi naught equals -9.03945 x 10^-20.

also, m could be a given mass or other variable, as could e.

so i dont really know where all this leaves us, but yeah, theres my knowledge in physics applied to this.

ps- i wouldnt be surprised if more equations pop up and/or values to plug in.

edit: there are tons of common variables for both m and e, so i think maybe a more non-linear approach to this may be in order.
Last edited by Fancy Shmancy on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

Great work with the servers again, guys...I'm always late for these things!! On the 801 image, I think I know what it is...but all of you that are unfamiliar with physics probably will not glean anything off of what I post.

That formula in the 801 file is definitely quantum mechanics - the solutions of the Schrodinger equation that describes physics at the atomic scale. That lower case psi is the wave function in the x-direction of a particle (the capital psi is the 3D wave function, I think). That "0" at the subscript denotes that the wave function is in its ground state (the lowest-energy, simplest way that a violin string can vibrate, for instance). The square-root term is a "normalization constant - the area under a wave function cannot be greater than 1. The wave function is related to the particle's probability of being at that point, so this constant is that. The "e" term is the e = 2.71828183 term that appears all over physics; it is used in many, many quantum equations also. I'm attaching an example equation in one of my quantum books - its the solution to a harmonic oscillator - but it doesn't have the exact form of the one in 801.

I hope that someone can find out what equation 801 is exactly. Just a guess, but I'm thinking that it could reveal some more about the physics that the Forerunner use in their shield/sword worlds??
Attachments
IMG_0757_1.PNG
IMG_0757_1.PNG (221.98 KiB) Viewed 9566 times
writer87
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by writer87 »

c2h6o you have intrigued me! and great find on the similarites of the equations, hi5!

(sorry i have nothing to contribute but i practically failed math in college, numbers make my brain go "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, splat")
DocOctavius
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by DocOctavius »

"Contender"=Master Chief? That hidden phrase reinforces the link between the forerunner and the Spartans indicated in the books in multiple places (MC automatically knowing how to activate forerunner switches, Fred's blood activating the underground Reach complex, [though that might have worked for any human I guess]). Interesting phrase to hide at the end there... or maybe I'm just reading it wrong...

Good luck math geeks- that equation looks like chicken scratch to me :P
iggy73
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by iggy73 »

MulletedOne wrote:Anywho, how do the forerunner know human math formulas?
Mathematics is the universal language. While the characters we ascribe to numbers is distinctly us, the laws and the foundation is true irrespective of one's plane of reference (be that humankind or alien). Also, this is where we get into the deltas between laws, rules, and theorems - laws are universally true...

More succinctly though... ever see the movie Contact?
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

pondrthis posted an informed rundown of the formula math at UF
SyrupHorder
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by SyrupHorder »

What we may be overlooking, and what may make everything more confusing, is that members of the flood have four fingers. Two hands would equal 8 total fingers. What if possibly the flood has a base 8 math system? We as humans, since we have ten fingers, use a base ten system. Or considering it's Bungie, it could also be a base 7 math system. Woah man, thats some smart talk coming from me... :mrgreen:
Menelven
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Menelven »

The Flood don't have fingers, they have tentacles. The hosts they take over have fingers.
Ross
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ross »

SyrupHorder wrote:What we may be overlooking, and what may make everything more confusing, is that members of the flood have four fingers. Two hands would equal 8 total fingers. What if possibly the flood has a base 8 math system? We as humans, since we have ten fingers, use a base ten system. Or considering it's Bungie, it could also be a base 7 math system. Woah man, thats some smart talk coming from me... :mrgreen:
Parasite's don't have fingers :P

Where did you get your figure's from?
SyrupHorder
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by SyrupHorder »

NVM I was talking about actually the hand print from the SOTA page, it had four fingers. So yeah I didn't mean the flood I meant.... the forerunners I guess. :?: Man this stuff makes brain go eww splat ding dong rrh8efowfgareby,mt. So yeah, thats what I meant