Does anyone have a samsung to download this file? Glyphs

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

wizzdumb4u
Data [Undefined]

Re: Does anyone have a samsung to download this file? Glyphs

Unread post by wizzdumb4u »

Did anyone see the video 2 on the "About Halo 3" page? It freezes suddenly at the end..

Not sure what it means... but it seems odd.
theteal1
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by theteal1 »

This site is filled with errors.

I'm not to keen on gathering them up to see if they mean anything, mostly because there's so many, but if anyone else feels like it, go ahead.

Otherwise, I'm not seeing anything ARG-related besides the glyph...
thoruen
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by thoruen »

We had a couple of guys review some other audio file with and it ended up having some kind of image buried in side it. Can any one find him and see if he comes up with anything here?

Do we have any UK members that entered their telephone numbers into the site?
Have they received any odd phone calls? if not will they soon?

Bungie knows Halo has world wide appeal, so couldn't they include some foreign countries in the ARG, hoping to bring people of different cultures together in order to solve the puzzle? I realize that I sound like a hippie, but I'm not. I just indulge in some of their better ummm habits. anyway.....

I just don't see Samsung having these errors on the page without something else going on. Plus the AR logo is only on the one page.
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

Guys, this is Samsung's deal, not Bungie, not Microsoft = not ARG related, except for the default linked by glyph thing. No hidden anything, just some crap to DL.
thoruen
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by thoruen »

I doubt Bungie or MS wold let another company use the ARG symbology without thier permission
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

It's not without permission, it's just not involved with the ARG. Just marketing and spreading the knowledge of the ARG.
live faust:die jung
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by live faust:die jung »

i've been thinking, and i think our clue may be something simpler. i've been looking at the glyph-ed ringtones page, and they give a strange default number.
Exclusive content for your phone
Please enter your mobile number below
(e.g: 07777123234)
well i've been puzzling over possible uses of that particular number (is it a common UK dummy phone number, like 555-xxxx is in the us?). i think the four 7's in the number are likely a clue that it's at least possibly Bungie related. well i haven't been able to find anything meaningful through converting to other number-base systems, and i haven't tried hex or ascii, but i suppose it's worth a shot.

i'm currently wondering if maybe it's a musical clue. you know, like if you type certain numbers into a touch-tone phone, you can play simple melodies like 'mary had a little lamb'. i wonder if this is a musical hint. running off that whim, i've downloaded a free app that lets me play accurate touch-tones. (found at http://home.no.net/fenja256/dtmfpro/)
playing it teases me as i can ALMOST make out a tune, but not quite. can anyone else make something out of that or is this just wishful thinking?

(anyone else have the ability to make a sound file of that? i think it sound better at the default 100ms tone duration rather than the 50ms, but of course both are welcome...)

EDIT: silly me, a little more research reveals that "077xxx" is the standard prefix for mobile phones in the UK. thus 077771 would be the 'dialing code', to be followed by 23234 as the actual phone's number itself.

MORE EDIT: still curious, anyone recognize 23234 as any sort of familiar tune?
Last edited by live faust:die jung on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
supremely
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by supremely »

i dont havea samsung. i have a ericcson but still it told me that i had to have a UK number to access the site. sorry. (i tried this earlier when someone else discovered the site and got the same results.)
chris_hill
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by chris_hill »

I'm in the UK with a compatible phone, I entered my phone number a few days ago just after the samsung page appeared.

I did this after clicking on 'video 5' with the glyphs and moments later I got a text from samsung containing a link to a mobile-web page with 5 'making of' halo 3 videos. I have not downloaded them yet, but I intend to when I have more time later on.

I also sent an SMS message to the example mobile phone number - nothing in reply just yet. Called the number and got a standard 'This persons mobile phone is switched off, please try again later' message. It appears that number is valid, but possibly not in use?

My phone has an 'information' option for text messages which contain links. Looking at the information for the text from samsung, this is the link they directed me to for the videos

http://mobile.yoc.de/samsung_halo_en/MD ... Tc/0_0_1_5

The don't show up in a normal browser though - maybe the page HAS to be viewed via a mobile phone? I'm not sure if you guys in the states will be able to view the content? might be worth a try as I don't have much time to put in to playing ARG's!

Just thought I'd do my bit since the UK only status of the mobile content from samsung seemed to be a bit of a stumbling block :)
chris_hill
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by chris_hill »

ok, after a bit more fiddling about i found a mobile browser emulator that allows you to view the pages correctly

http://emulator.mtld.mobi/emulator.php? ... mit=Submit

you'll find clicking the links in the mini-browser gives you an error, as you might expect since its just pretending to be a mobile phone!

But

in the status bar it gives you the URL to whatever it was you just tried to download :D They're really long though so its a bit of a chore actually downloading the content. I've downloaded the 5 videos, they're just snippits from the 'making of' video thats up on youtube, nothing special there, and the ringtones do just appear to be the MP3's you can preview on the samsung site.

anyway, using that mobile browser emulator you should be able to see what I could see on my UK phone so if there are any clues there, I'm sure someone will find them!