Log2_Transcript Discussion

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Log2_Transcript Discussion

Unread post by scapermoya »

yeah, there are two arks, but only one has anything to do with "the flood" and the preservation of life against death on a superhuman scale.

the ark of the covenant doesn't have all the juicy ties to this storyline that noah's ark does.
rewind
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by rewind »

scapermoya wrote:yeah, there are two arks, but only one has anything to do with "the flood" and the preservation of life against death on a superhuman scale.

the ark of the covenant doesn't have all the juicy ties to this storyline that noah's ark does.
Really...no ties...something so powerful as to be able to destroy pretty much any life that was contentious? No...I don't see any correlation between the ark of the covenant and the ark of africa ... /sarcasm

Look, I am not saying that it is a firm bet on either, I was simply stating that if you are going to consider biblical ramifications and correlaries of "the ark", then it should be considered that it may not be deliverance that it offers.
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

rewind wrote: Really...no ties...something so powerful as to be able to destroy pretty much any life that was contentious? No...I don't see any correlation between the ark of the covenant and the ark of africa ... /sarcasm

Look, I am not saying that it is a firm bet on either, I was simply stating that if you are going to consider biblical ramifications and correlaries of "the ark", then it should be considered that it may not be deliverance that it offers.
feel free to quote the scripture that describes this ability to "destroy pretty much any life". seems like you've seen 'raiders of the lost ark' too many times.

i am not claiming that bungie is using a harrison ford movie as inspiration, i am claiming that they are using the bible.
rewind
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by rewind »

scapermoya wrote:
rewind wrote: Really...no ties...something so powerful as to be able to destroy pretty much any life that was contentious? No...I don't see any correlation between the ark of the covenant and the ark of africa ... /sarcasm

feel free to quote the scripture that describes this ability to "destroy pretty much any life". seems like you've seen 'raiders of the lost ark' too many times.

i am not claiming that bungie is using a harrison ford movie as inspiration, i am claiming that they are using the bible.

First, I will of course post something in support of the "Ark of Deliverance" side. Of note is of course Genesis 7:13 in particular (remember ghost.713) which has been mentioned before [all references from NIV]:

Genesis 7:12-14
12 And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights.
13 On that very day Noah and his sons, Shem, Ham and Japheth, together with his wife and the wives of his three sons, entered the ark. 14 They had with them every wild animal according to its kind, all livestock according to their kinds, every creature that moves along the ground according to its kind and every bird according to its kind, everything with wings.

Note...I put only one for the Ark of Deliverance, not to deswade from its validity in correlation, but only because the passage mentioned very accurately portrays it.

Now the "Ark of the Covenant":

Leviticus 16
2 The LORD said to Moses: "Tell your brother Aaron not to come whenever he chooses into the Most Holy Place behind the curtain in front of the atonement cover on the ark, or else he will die, because I appear in the cloud over the atonement cover..."

1 Samuel 5
1 After the Philistines had captured the ark of God, they took it from Ebenezer to Ashdod. 2 Then they carried the ark into Dagon's temple and set it beside Dagon. 3 When the people of Ashdod rose early the next day, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the LORD! They took Dagon and put him back in his place. 4 But the following morning when they rose, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the LORD! His head and hands had been broken off and were lying on the threshold; only his body remained. 5 That is why to this day neither the priests of Dagon nor any others who enter Dagon's temple at Ashdod step on the threshold.

1 Chronicles 13
9 When they came to the threshing floor of Kidon, Uzzah reached out his hand to steady the ark, because the oxen stumbled. 10 The LORD's anger burned against Uzzah, and he struck him down because he had put his hand on the ark. So he died there before God.

I am simply stating that either is a possibility, and neither should be ruled out. For all we know, the ambiguity could be purposeful, and it could actually be related to neither ... or both.
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

you forgot the one where they use the ark to destroy the walls of jericho. clearly the ark of the covenant is depicted as being very powerful and holy in the bible, with the ability to pass god's will through it. no arguments there

i'm just saying that based on the fact that there is a species called "the flood", and that the storyline necessitates some kind of protection from "the flood", that this ark bungie has come up with seems to be more aligned with the one main noah's ark story than the many different stories of the ark of the covenant.

interestingly, the forerunner ark supposedly was built on earth ~100,000 years ago, wayyyyy before any kind of religion (not to mention villages). maybe the forerunner ark is actually the inspiration for the ark in the bible, not the other way around. ;)
spartan117
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by spartan117 »

i believe that its the "ark of deliverance" since it has already been referenced in the warthog video.

one thing ive been wondering for a long time...if the flood could infect other organisms why havent we seen a forerunner flood? that is if the forerunner were a living organism and not a machine.
machine could also be possible since they dont call themselves "flood food" but other life forms they do.
Bradxd
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Bradxd »

I believe that since every animal and every wild animal were put into the ark in that verse, it could possibly mean that all will be united in the end on halo 3. But yet the world still ends horribly? duhn duhn duhn
sarge2552
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by sarge2552 »

well, going along with biblical references, anyone read Revelation??
7 seems to be a recurring number in there, kind of interesting
the forerunners could very well have been considered angels, prophets, or gods to primitive humans
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

the bible is the most referenced book (if you want to call it a book) of all time. wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot we could glean about halo from it.

(disclaimer: i am no bible nut. in fact, i'm a staunch atheist. i just recognize the bible's importance when it comes to other literature, movies, and now apparently games)
3zz
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by 3zz »

scapermoya wrote:the bible is the most referenced book (if you want to call it a book) of all time. wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot we could glean about halo from it.

(disclaimer: i am no bible nut. in fact, i'm a staunch atheist. i just recognize the bible's importance when it comes to other literature, movies, and now apparently games)
Ofcourse the Bible is important to Halo, we've known this for ages! What we're trying to figure out now is wether the ark references to Noah's ark of deliverance, or the ark of the covenant. I believe its the first, with the 'Flood' going on and all.