Log2_Transcript Discussion

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

SoUtHEaStJaY619
Data [Undefined]

Re: Log2_Transcript Discussion

Unread post by SoUtHEaStJaY619 »

here's errrthang (with the hidden mesaages)

"we have been fool to think that ll intelligence follws the rules we've set

the flood is no idiot parasite
no simple infection to be cured and cauterized

it has a center,it has a mind
and that discovery gave us a way to fight it
but when the mind realized we had it's measure

it spoke to us
mockingly,dismissevly

it has done this before
elsewhere "

thats what i saw
Flex
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Flex »

It's clearly talking about Gravemind.
Maybe they tried to kill it, but didn't work. :s
3zz
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by 3zz »

Obviously. Aparently Gravemind wasnt impressed by the Forerunners new weapon (The Halos maybe? He did survive them), due to him speaking to them mockingly and dismissively. I wonder what the Forerunner did then, theyre a pretty proud race, I think. So what happens when half or more of your empire is reduced to festering mutated parasitic Flood, you finally think to have found a way to kill it, and it mocks you. Maybe this explains why they decided to fire the Halos, they were pissed.
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Admiral Whitcomb »

well... the halos we're fired as the final resort- but even then, they apparently battled the flood above the halos or the ark
"KNOW THAT A THOUSAND OTHER PLANS WERE TRIED AND FAILED"
"Sphere secure to .1889 of passing fleet. Offensive tactics confirmed.
Feint tactics in limited push.
There is no peace left. No place where the parasite cannot reach. You were right about it
all. Let us hope the final measure is not too late.
acceptable losses confirmed
{D-com} It's done. By my hands. The pyrrhic solution is ignited."

*edit* also, keep in mind, the halo's dont destroy the flood- THEY DESTROY THEIER FOOD. Humans, covenent, cows, all equally edidble
Last edited by Admiral Whitcomb on Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lichtonatus
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by Lichtonatus »

You realise it might not be Gravemind. Who is to say Gravemind is the only core intelligence of the flood? Or that a new one isn't just created when the last died?

Admittedly though, the evidence does point that way, but we should keep an open mind.
Scelus
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Scelus »

I've been keeping an open "mind" on that subject (bad pun intended). That's why in most of my theories I say "the hive mind" or something along those lines.

Personally, not seeing much to interpret from the server video. It all seems so straight forward, and that's what makes me look harder. It's possible that there's nothing to decipher in there, but with the way things are thus far, I refuse to believe that.

I'm somewhat curious what would happen if Gravemind were to be killed, though. Would the Flood become disjointed, and revert to every other known parasite, mindlessly living to kill and killing to live? As the description of Gravemind states that the Flood organism requires sufficient biomass, so unless several Flood critters can combine and form a new Gravemind, they'd have to have one that kills a whole lot of things to achieve the needed requirements.
Lichtonatus
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by Lichtonatus »

There's an entity similar to Gravemind in the Halo Graohic novel (Only smaller) I'm assuming they're able to form new hive minds by melding consciusnesses or something similar.

Personally, I'm not sure hive mind is the right term anyway. I always thought Gravemind was like a ruler, instructing other intelligent (semi-intelligent?) organisms rather than the consciouness of the whole.
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Admiral Whitcomb »

so the flood are like the borg?
sarge2552
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by sarge2552 »

could this message be talking about when the flood were created/found, because of this quote from 343 in the book The Flood,
The installation was specifically built to study and contain the Flood. Their survival as a race was dependent on it. I am grateful to see that some of them survived to reproduce.
-pg.237
it indicates that the flood were either created, studied and kept alive in the structures, or that they were discovered as a dying organism, and were protected, and put in a special place so they could survive, this would also go with the line about being foolish to think all life went along the same lines, the forerunners underestimated the floods ability to survive...
Baratos
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Baratos »

sarge2552 wrote:could this message be talking about when the flood were created/found, because of this quote from 343 in the book The Flood,
The installation was specifically built to study and contain the Flood. Their survival as a race was dependent on it. I am grateful to see that some of them survived to reproduce.
-pg.237
it indicates that the flood were either created, studied and kept alive in the structures, or that they were discovered as a dying organism, and were protected, and put in a special place so they could survive, this would also go with the line about being foolish to think all life went along the same lines, the forerunners underestimated the floods ability to survive...
Maybe the Forerunners thought they could sit down with the Flood and say "Look, we saved you guys from extinction, maybe you could do us a favor and not eat us?" And when the Flood disagreed, the Forerunners turned the Halos into weapons.