Log2_Transcript Discussion

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

gspawn
Data [Conditional]

Re: Log2_Transcript Discussion

Unread post by gspawn »

3zz wrote:
scapermoya wrote:Ofcourse the Bible is important to Halo, we've known this for ages! What we're trying to figure out now is wether the ark references to Noah's ark of deliverance, or the ark of the covenant. I believe its the first, with the 'Flood' going on and all.
-Bungie makes a ton of movie references. Taking the "Ark of the COVENANT" straight outta Raiders of the Lost Ark wouldn't be terribly surprising in and of itself. So you can't just discount that.
-*ahem*. ARK. of the. COVENANT. And you're just going to write off possible connections?
-"I am your shield. I am your sword." Not that this quote is directly related, but Bungie's used bits like this for a long time, and duality is a big thing in their games. The Ark will be no different. It is probably both a shield (to protect those in it, like the Ark of Noah) and a sword (as it can activate the Halos and destroy the Flood).
labooker
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by labooker »

gspawn wrote:
3zz wrote:
scapermoya wrote:Ofcourse the Bible is important to Halo, we've known this for ages! What we're trying to figure out now is wether the ark references to Noah's ark of deliverance, or the ark of the covenant. I believe its the first, with the 'Flood' going on and all.
-Bungie makes a ton of movie references. Taking the "Ark of the COVENANT" straight outta Raiders of the Lost Ark wouldn't be terribly surprising in and of itself. So you can't just discount that.
-*ahem*. ARK. of the. COVENANT. And you're just going to write off possible connections?
-"I am your shield. I am your sword." Not that this quote is directly related, but Bungie's used bits like this for a long time, and duality is a big thing in their games. The Ark will be no different. It is probably both a shield (to protect those in it, like the Ark of Noah) and a sword (as it can activate the Halos and destroy the Flood).
The Ark of the Covenant is actually from the Bible, too. It held the Ten Commandments ;)
rewind
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by rewind »

labooker wrote: The Ark of the Covenant is actually from the Bible, too. It held the Ten Commandments ;)
...and Aaron's Staff (that struck the rock and caused a spring to flow forth), and a jar of Mana, which fell from heaven as food in order to feed the Hebrews on the journey through the wilderness.
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by scapermoya »

i'm going to have to do a little digging on this one, but my suspicions tell me that the bible may have been released a few years before raiders of the lost ark.

also, i'm going to take a potentially-irresponsible leap into the world of fantasy, but do you think its possible that the theme of duality popped its head up before bungie came along?

any other "movie" references will be responded to similarly.

anyway, seriously, bungie references literature, like the bible and shakespeare (by the prickling of my thumb, etc)
Last edited by scapermoya on Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spartan117
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by spartan117 »

dont forget isaac newton..
rewind
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by rewind »

scapermoya wrote:i'm going to have to do a little digging on this one, but my suspicions tell me that the bible may have been released a few years before raiders of the lost ark.

also, i'm going to take a potentially-irresponsible leap into the world of fantasy, but do you think its possible that the theme of duality popped its head up before bungie came along?

any other "movie" references will be responded to similarly.

anyway, seriously, bungie references literature, like the bible and shakespeare (by the prickling of my thumb, etc)
The only reason I even mentioned RotLA was because Frankie mentioned it in the Weekly Update. In no way did I say that Indiana Jones played any particular part in this arg, or the events to come in H3. My first reference to the Ark of the Covenant was simply to note that it seemed you were haphazardly dismissing the possibility of it being related in any way to the Ark in H3, and that the Ark of the Covenant tied very closely as well, and may also provide some insight as to the role the Ark in H3 plays. Who says that anyone [in this universe] was meant to survive at all once the firing occured?

And to correct something that you mentioned before, about the Forerunner not making mistakes, they were "too advanced" you say. Here is another quote:

The pride cometh before the fall
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

rewind wrote: The only reason I even mentioned RotLA was because Frankie mentioned it in the Weekly Update. In no way did I say that Indiana Jones played any particular part in this arg, or the events to come in H3. My first reference to the Ark of the Covenant was simply to note that it seemed you were haphazardly dismissing the possibility of it being related in any way to the Ark in H3, and that the Ark of the Covenant tied very closely as well, and may also provide some insight as to the role the Ark in H3 plays. Who says that anyone [in this universe] was meant to survive at all once the firing occured?

And to correct something that you mentioned before, about the Forerunner not making mistakes, they were "too advanced" you say. Here is another quote:

i was responding to gspawn:
Bungie makes a ton of movie references. Taking the "Ark of the COVENANT" straight outta Raiders of the Lost Ark wouldn't be terribly surprising in and of itself. So you can't just discount that.
also, the firing is pretty much limited to galaxies, not that it makes a difference.

i don't really understand your last statement. while that quote is sorta wise, how does it 'correct' what I said? typically when you correct someone, you have something that specifically refutes what they said.
rewind
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by rewind »

scapermoya wrote:
rewind wrote: The only reason I even mentioned RotLA was because Frankie mentioned it in the Weekly Update. In no way did I say that Indiana Jones played any particular part in this arg, or the events to come in H3. My first reference to the Ark of the Covenant was simply to note that it seemed you were haphazardly dismissing the possibility of it being related in any way to the Ark in H3, and that the Ark of the Covenant tied very closely as well, and may also provide some insight as to the role the Ark in H3 plays. Who says that anyone [in this universe] was meant to survive at all once the firing occured?

i don't really understand your last statement. while that quote is sorta wise, how does it 'correct' what I said? typically when you correct someone, you have something that specifically refutes what they said.
scapermoya wrote:i don't think there are many flukes with the forerunner, they are too advanced. they were left intact because the forerunner expected to return. "reclaimer" anyone?
That is the statement that I was specifically refuting...sorry I confused you.
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

i'd like to go back to something someone said before i brought up the bible and got us sidetracked.
spartan117 wrote:well if the ark was being made a 100,000 years ago it could have been because the halos were being prepared to fire. therefore supporting the fact that it may not take a long time to build something such as the forerunners did.
maybe the ark wasnt even finished. and if it was there must be a surviving forerunner in our midst...
the comic on halo3.com explicitly says "100,000 years ago." so can we assume that the "machines" in the comic were building the ark? are there other possibilities? would this suggest that the ark was built very last minute? desperation? the knowledge that the halos had to be fired very shortly? or is it that the forerunner are simply so advanced that this wasn't "last minute" to them, but simply a logical time to start building, knowing they have the capacity to do it very quickly? they would still have to take the time to collect all of earth's species and put them in.

it could also be that the forerunner in the comic are not yet aware of a need to use the halo system, and they are simply building the ark on a schedule. it could be a coincidence that the halos were to be fired soon. (i say soon because of the numerous hints bungie has dropped that the halos were fired "around" 100,000 years ago).

has anyone considered the possibility that the ark simply emits a planet-wide shield, effectively making the entire surface safe from harm? considering the amount of power that halos generate, this planet-wide shield would likely be within the capabilities of forerunner tech. this would remove the need to collect all of the species. considering that the comic makes no reference to anyone being "taken", and the man's daily life is depicted as not really having been disturbed by the aliens, i would say the forerunner clearly haven't been collecting humans yet. is that just because the ark isn't done, and they do have to be collected and deposited later?

cut this up, lets discuss.
Van Helsing
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Van Helsing »

In reply to a statement in the post above,

an old post I made:
Van Helsing wrote:

This is a rough Flash movie of how the Ark could potentially save the Earth from the effect of the Halo's firing,

There has been a lot of speculation about the Ark, and although this does not relate specifically to the ARG - it's still good to know,

thoughts?

And yes, it IS out of scale etc..
Just throwing that out there.

Also, this topic is for the discussion of the Log2_Transcript file.

Please keep it more that way from now on.