Halo Storyline Question

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

beowulf
Data [Conditional]

Halo Storyline Question

Unread post by beowulf »

I haven't beaten either of the Halo games and haven't read any of the novels, but I am really enjoying the ARG so far. I have been reading up on the storyline of the games and have a question about the halos. Does anyone know why the flood was kept on the halos. I mean if it was a dangerous as it seems and the halos are built to destroy it then why have it on the halo?

~beowulf
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Halo Storyline Question

Unread post by Dalthanas »

There is actually a TON of really good discussion by some really smart people on this over in speculation. The topics ranged from what the flood was, how it works, who it affects, if and why it was made, why it was kept, and how the halos work. I would suggest delving through those forums for a lot of good ideas on it.
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

beowulf wrote:I haven't beaten either of the Halo games and haven't read any of the novels, but I am really enjoying the ARG so far. I have been reading up on the storyline of the games and have a question about the halos. Does anyone know why the flood was kept on the halos. I mean if it was a dangerous as it seems and the halos are built to destroy it then why have it on the halo?

~beowulf
The Halo Story brought to you by HBO. Read, enjoy, love, worship.
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

That is one of the major mysteries of the Halos which we still don't really know. 343 Guilty Spark, the Monitor of Installation 04 (the Halo of Halo:CE) states that the Flood were contained on Halo for scientific study; however, one would think that a space-faring race like them would be smart enough to, I don't know, NOT keep their nemeses alive even after they themselves have died from the last activation of the Halo array. Hopefully Halo 3 will answer it though. Good question.

EDIT: otnemem also has a very good link there.
AI23
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by AI23 »

My theory is that the forerunners accidentally created the flood. Afterwards they knew the firing of the halos was desperate one time thing. A few specimens were most likely kept alive so that they could study them and ultimately find find a way to kill them that didn't involve wiping out all live in the universe.

But that's just a theory.
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

That's definitely one of the bigger theories out there; the idea that this was a tragedy of science is definitely possible.
Corbob
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Corbob »

It might also be a two for one.. The creators of Halo don't want whoever finds it to be destroyed by the Halo so they have the Flood protect it as well. Remember that 343 Guilty Spark cannot activate the ring(s).