New Clue Found!!

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

FrenzyTheKillbot
Data [Conditional]

Re: New Clue Found!!

Unread post by FrenzyTheKillbot »

I'm leaning towards this is part of the game. Its a company called "Flood Containment Control" which says it's "the most trusted name in water damage clean up services" but they don't have their own website, they have a bunch of postings on a Microsoft owned listing site. That isn't even mentioning the glyph.

But I'm wondering how much use the phone number is going to be. If it can't be used until Monday that really dead-ends things. I personally think theres something important in the locations it's advertising.
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Dalthanas »

I just checked for the company information on Hoovers.com. I have a membership through work, and there is no company listing for this, either as a parent company, working company or doing business as name. This is NOT conclusive, lots of companies are not listed, but "the most trusted name" probably would be in the US. Additionally, why the glyph if its not in game? Seems like a pretty random pic to attach if its not in game.
Chainz
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Chainz »

Dalthanas wrote:I just checked for the company information on Hoovers.com. I have a membership through work, and there is no company listing for this, either as a parent company, working company or doing business as name. This is NOT conclusive, lots of companies are not listed, but "the most trusted name" probably would be in the US. Additionally, why the glyph if its not in game? Seems like a pretty random pic to attach if its not in game.
Well there is the possibility of it being a hoax.

EDIT BUT if its not- it could open a server Monday.
SkinWalk3r
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by SkinWalk3r »

Sorry, but the craigslist user address you recently mailed
(sale-366952352@craigslist.org) does not seem to be valid. It could be
you're trying to respond to a very old posting, or that the user has not
requested anonymous email forwarding. Please check the address and try
again.

hmm that what I got back !
Chainz
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Chainz »

SkinWalk3r wrote:Sorry, but the craigslist user address you recently mailed
(sale-366952352@craigslist.org) does not seem to be valid. It could be
you're trying to respond to a very old posting, or that the user has not
requested anonymous email forwarding. Please check the address and try
again.

hmm that what I got back !
Hum. . . That sucks- but still its all we have at the moment.
ODST Epsilon
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ODST Epsilon »

At least this seems to be a believable lead compared to other things. Hope this actually pans out.
EliteSniper177
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by EliteSniper177 »

its funny, check this out:
Call today for a free quote from one of our regional teams. Appointments can be made any day of the week except national holidays.

(888) 778-5672
- thats from http://expo.live.com/ViewListing.aspx?lId=4503586

but here:

they say their hiring and:
Anti spam: Do NOT contact me offering services or anything of a commercial nature.
kinda inconsistent if you ask me

also if you look here: http://classifieds.yahoo.com/detail.htm ... 926-479307

look at the location, Chicago, Illinois, and the asking price, $717 ( A Date?)
Last edited by EliteSniper177 on Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ODST Epsilon
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ODST Epsilon »

Dates seem a little interesting with it ending on August 30. Might be a logical stopping point for the ARG with the release less than a month away. It also does seem a little intriguing that the very top listing is by MS and seeing as how they have no qualms about using their own resources for this thing it would make sense to use MS Classifieds or whatever it's called, as well as spamming up the rest of Google with listings.

Also, a search for Flood brings up stuff from FEMA and other organizations, tossing on Containment will bring up all those pages which at least adds a little bit more to the likely hood that it would be found.

Maybe someone should send an Email to SOTA saying they've found another marking from the Ancients and see if they pick it up.
Sable
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Sable »

Hm. There's quite a number of things related to this on Google now.

So far I'm counting...

1.) Yahoo! Classifieds - selling "used survey tools," - has the glyph-in-the-moss.
2.) Some message posting in Dublin - Advertising services.
3.) MS Live thinger - Advertising services
4.) Craigslist - Some entries have been removed, but apparently they were there.

Has anyone poked around at the glyph image? I can't find extraneous layers or anything interesting by opening in a text editor or in a hex editor...
monctezuma
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by monctezuma »

There's another one listed in Montréal, Canada:

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-et- ... dZ17160830

and the price of the stuff is 117.00$