Weekly Update Message Discussion [BWU - 6/6/08]

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Re: Weekly Update Message Discussion [BWU - 6/6/08]

Unread post by DHalo »

I'm wondering if that's because of Bungie's reveal at MLG tonight. Moon Base Alpha?
Mr Toadster
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Mr Toadster »

A MoonbaseAlpha or Smuggler reveal at MLG seems kind of anti-climatic...
We are not allowed to say anything specific about it right now, but trust us when we say that you DO NOT want to miss what we have in store for you. We will not be showing it on the web--this is a special treat to the people who came out to the event. So if you live in the San Diego area, definitely be sure to come out tomorrow and check it out--you won't be seeing this anywhere else...
AfRo SaUcE
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by AfRo SaUcE »

They revealed Cold Storage, its the remake of Chill Out from Halo: CE.
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

DHalo speculates that Cold Storage is "The Smuggler" map. It appears that it might possibly be a Forerunner type of location that is located on Delta Halo. This is purely rampant speculation.
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

No longer speculation, silly Avateur, it's fact.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx ... 3#22137085
CG: Luke said "Smuggler" was the code name for Cold Storage.

Luke: The first sentence is a fact.
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

you know what? how did "Smuggler" get tied to the two weekly update log reports? I can't remember... I think The Smuggler was a theory about what the logs were describing.
deadguy
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by deadguy »

It was "tied to it" because the first transmission was the last section of the Weekly Bungie update. The section was clearly titled "the Smuggler".

So I guess the "recursive teleporters" was the only real clue aside from the name, and that applies to every multiplayer map that HAS a teleporter and is on a Halo.. It doesn't teleport you out of the map, but merely into another position on the same map. Of course, I GUESS this map is kinda' teleporter heavy if I'm remembering the right map.

So.. what's so "smuggler" about the original Halo 1 map? I guess I gotta' load it and look around.

mm.. I dunno.. I looked at the pics of the map on MLG and didn't see anything else that was referenced in the smuggler thing. With any luck, that wasn't the finished version of the map, and it'll have stuff like areas covered in floodwalls and the gravemind visible in the background playing with Penitent Tangent (and that one called Quadrant) "zooming" them around, like toy planes stuck to tentacles, or maybe areas newly opened to the sky that would show sentinels flying past, occassionally shooting at flood that's just outside the boundaries of the map or something.

Hell, I'd settle for a smoking, sparking, large sentinel as they appeared in Halo 2 (and not Halo 3, for some reason).

Throw in a flood sphincter door or two, show exit points for whatever flood escaped from the facility. Turn-down the default gravity a bit (hey? maybe that was a clue too?).. Show the 6 adjacent facilities that are "non-compromised", complete with their greek nametags.

Anyone find the clue in there that indicated that MLG would be the source of information? Or a "secret website" or ANYTHING?

I guess since the date was on the sixth month.. those "six adjacent facilities" might have been part of a clue about the date? Anyone see the rest of it?

I just can't beleive it's over this quickly.. 2 updates, with apparently very little to show for it at the moment. I'm guessing that there were clues in there that we didn't put together.
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

yeah I checked back, just missed that the title of the first BWU update was The Smuggler. Trixie, being the only reference to it =P
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

The remake is titled "Cold Storage." When people smuggle things, they are smuggled in boxes. Boxes are "stored." Best I can come up with. XD

But I'm guessing CS is a Forerunner storage lab or something like that. Maybe cryogenicly frozen flood?
deadguy
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by deadguy »

cold boxes... ok.. but to smuggle is to sneak stuff past someone. umm.. I'm sure that's even the official definition. So.. smuggle the flood past the rings firing the first time? Or did stowaways attach themselves to something and get smuggled out of there?

"The Smuggler" is an interesting name because it implies a person/entity that snuck something out of there, knowingly, or unknowingly.. Not a place at all, or even an action, but an entity.

Also.. wasn't "Chill-out" covenant architecture? I seem to recall a bunch of covenant purple stuff everywhere, rather than forerunner architecture.

ohh.. :idea: unless this is where the stuff was smuggled TO?

Like ONI technology that comes "from the stars" but is actually forerunner technology that they haven't announced as such? Like personal shield technology in the mjolnir armor (which seems to match covenant stuff)? Or like in the "Forerunner Artifacts" uncovered by SOTA in the IRIS campaign?

Ok.. I'm pumped for the new map now.. I'd love to scour it for clues. :)