Weekly Update Message Discussion [BWU - 6/6/08]

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Re: Weekly Update Message Discussion [BWU - 6/6/08]

Unread post by DHalo »

Just because the original map was Covie architecture doesn't mean it has anything to do with the remake's story. They are just reusing the geometry layout, but giving it a new setting, feel, and story behind it. <- IMO

However, it is possible, like I said before, that the Flood Super Cell was cryogenically frozen (Cold Storage :D) and thus evaded death by rings.
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

Feels a bit odd, for them to be dumping all of this in-depth material on the history of halo just for the sake of releasing a map.

I don't know, maybe they were considering running with it, but aborted in the end. I didn't see another section in the most recent update.
deadguy
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by deadguy »

Well.. that in-depth material is kinda the point. Everything in the Bungiverse has a background story to it.

I'm just surprised it didn't actually point to anything. I can't help but wonder if there's some kinda' clues in there to lead us to the next set of clues. Otherwise why wouldn't the next update have said "Well! some of you did very well in figuring the smuggler messages out, and for those that didn't, it's insight into the specific background of our newly announced map." etc, etc. Maybe that's what we'll get in tonight's Update?

Notice that some of the more recent bungie.net posts lately have regarded the Compund Intelligence project folks? I dunno'.. just seems odd to leave it hanging like that... I still think there's something strange afoot at the circle-k, but I don't have the mental fortitude ta' crack the egg or make the associations..
LordOsiris
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by LordOsiris »

I realize that the security systems in place have been there for 100 000 years, but I find it amazing that with all of the tech they had, they couldn't destroy the flood. Or maybe they did destroy the flood, but what would make them think that they would be able to contain the most volatile virus in the whole known everything enough to make sure the thing didn't get loose. Personally, I would have destroyed everything. The enemy was dealt with, the solution was put forward and accepted. Why would you risk something like the loss of an entire galaxy?
Mr Toadster
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Mr Toadster »

LordOsiris wrote:I realize that the security systems in place have been there for 100 000 years, but I find it amazing that with all of the tech they had, they couldn't destroy the flood. Or maybe they did destroy the flood, but what would make them think that they would be able to contain the most volatile virus in the whole known everything enough to make sure the thing didn't get loose. Personally, I would have destroyed everything. The enemy was dealt with, the solution was put forward and accepted. Why would you risk something like the loss of an entire galaxy?
(Aye, it does seem strange. But i'm pretty sure they were containing it on purpose - think of the underground Flood labs on Alpha Halo, & anyway the screenshot in the update shows a sort of tube for studying Flood).

I think the Smuggler name is less meaningful to the Haloverse than it could be. Most of the other map proto-names were jokes, right? Like "Okay Corral"? I'm pretty sure "Smuggler" refers to a famous smuggler that was once frozen in cold storage. Han Solo.
LordOsiris
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by LordOsiris »

Deep about Han Solo. That's the first time I've heard that.

But why would they need those tubes if the enemy was defeated? But the more important thing is that why would they put those containment fields on the Halos that would destroy them? Put the research facility's far away from the installations and the risk of destructions and damages is significantly decreased. As soon as you can verify something has gone wrong, to the Ark and activate the Halos without the risk of them being unable to activate.
Mr Toadster
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Mr Toadster »

LordOsiris wrote:Deep about Han Solo. That's the first time I've heard that.

But why would they need those tubes if the enemy was defeated? But the more important thing is that why would they put those containment fields on the Halos that would destroy them? Put the research facility's far away from the installations and the risk of destructions and damages is significantly decreased. As soon as you can verify something has gone wrong, to the Ark and activate the Halos without the risk of them being unable to activate.
That would make more sense. Maybe they thought containment would be easier in facilities onboard the Halos, although i'm not sure that would be true.
deadguy
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by deadguy »

The testing and containment facilites used to be off the rings, per a discussion that takes place in Halo 2 with regards to the setting of the Arbiter levels (when he's going after the Heretic).

Seems to ME you'd want your failsafe kept as close to the problem as possible.

This breach of containment was still considered contained, and therefore not a threat outside of that ring. It called for securty, and security never came.

You also don't want things being triggered to go off BEFORE you get a change to evacuate the galaxy first. They probably wanted to avoid an automated genocide switch hooked up to a motion sensor. ;) and intended to be back to take care of issues like this.

Granted, after 1000 years or so, the system should have determined there was a problem with the lack of responce, but it's not quite the same as an out of control infestation. In theory, even if the ring was absolutely swamped by what it contained.. there's no way to get off of it... therefore it is still a contained threat. Perhaps it sent out a warning flare of sorts, but as long as there were no other rings in this kind of situation, there's no real risk of galaxy infestation.

As for why they didn't just wipe out the flood when they had the chance? "All life is precious" So they wiped out everything EXCEPT for the DNA codes and stuff stored and cateloged on the indexes, which would be considered perhaps "life with insuficient biomass to sustain flood".

(as per the bestariums opening admonishment.. "don't use this information to revive anything you find in here please")

Otherwise they'd be no better than the threat they fought off and would only offer death to all living things in an entire galaxy. GRANTED that distinction is small.. but what would be the point of their actions otherwise? "WHEW! the flood is extinct, but so is everything else!"

They intended to wipe the slate clean, restart the galaxy, and even "reseed" it with forms that could "reclaim" the galaxy for themselves using the remaining lifeforms as "stock" to be altered genetically until the resemble the cateloged species. They probably figured that by keeping the flood under observation and study, if any MORE entered the regrowing galaxy, the inhabitants of the galaxy (and Forerunner AIs) may have had more time to come up with a better plan for defeating them.

But.. I have brain busting "proof" for you.
Ever wonder how "early man" watched the ark portal being built in that comic series, if the last firing of the rings ocurred so long ago? And why the Cradle (origin) of human life is beleived to be in a region close by?

We were reseeded by somethng similar to sentinels.. which is why the one forerunners was glad she'd catelogued us before the firing of the rings. So that we could come back, and not be lost forever. Early man witnessed the sentinels handing us the reigns to the Halo installations.

*update*
In fact.. who's to say that the forerunners actually built the arks, and they weren't built by the precursors? I say arks.. because who's to say the "old events" even took place in THIS galaxy? Perhaps the Forerunners inherited the knowledge of them and even improved upon them Maybe there's an ark in all the neighboring galaxies as well? Apparently since the "forerunners" had such a grasp of this galaxy, it would suggest that they had been to neighboring ones as well.. (much like our "ark" is outside of this galaxy) Perhaps our "forerunners" were reclaimers themselves? to reclaim the galaxy once it was purged. Maybe we ran into the flood a little early this time.. prior to being given all the knowledge we were supposed to have once we come across the rings? It would certainly explain the Monitors being surprised at our lack of knowledge on the subject.

oops.. I better stop.. I think I pulled something.. :)