Weekly Update Message Discussion [BWU - 5/30/08]

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Weekly Update Message? [General Discussion]

Unread post by uncle_trubble »

Given how one of the new MP maps is codenamed "smuggler," I suspect that this is for that map-viral marketing for the map, in a way.
It's probably going to be a map on 05 (hence 2401) that has been floodicized (like HC or under Isolation). I doubt there'll be a ton in the way of plot here, unfortunately.
It does indicate, however, that there's a monitor to the monitors, so to speak, who has judged 2401's conduct to be in violation of protocol, and indicates fallibility in that regard on the part of the Halo monitors. Interesting.
-Elpolloguapo
M4730
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by M4730 »

Woops, my bad for not checking this area of the forums. Jumped the gun a bit.

Anyways, I'm on the fence about the whole thing. I don't want to overhype what may just be lore of a singular downloadable map. Halo lore of any kind is still good, but unless the map is reall...worth-...hey waitaminute. I don't recall myself, perhaps someone can shed light on this. Has Bungie ever ruled out the possibility of downloadable campaign scenarios? Also, have they ever refernced this new set of DLC directly as another "Map Pack?". Just throwing ideas out there. Who knows, this all could just be way out of line and already proven false in previous updates. I just didn't want to sift through every update looking for these answers. Input?
Samusaaron3
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Samusaaron3 »

M4730 wrote:Woops, my bad for not checking this area of the forums. Jumped the gun a bit.

Anyways, I'm on the fence about the whole thing. I don't want to overhype what may just be lore of a singular downloadable map. Halo lore of any kind is still good, but unless the map is reall...worth-...hey waitaminute. I don't recall myself, perhaps someone can shed light on this. Has Bungie ever ruled out the possibility of downloadable campaign scenarios? Also, have they ever refernced this new set of DLC directly as another "Map Pack?". Just throwing ideas out there. Who knows, this all could just be way out of line and already proven false in previous updates. I just didn't want to sift through every update looking for these answers. Input?
Sadly, I'm pretty sure Bungie has stated that they did not leave in a back door for adding single player content.
Ibeechu
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Ibeechu »

Even if they did, what could they add? And would we want them to? I wouldn't. Halo 3 ended the story better than I could have imagined. I don't want to ruin that by opening it back up again.Why can't stories just stay concise and clearly structured like they did back in the day? Star Wars is an example of almost doing it right. Episodes 4-6: Awesome. pure perfection. 1-3: Also great, and I didn't mind that they were prequels because that's how Lucas had planned them since the beginning. Part of Luca's original vision. Great job! Comic books, video games, novels... wait, what? The emperor gets reincarnated after Episode 6? What? What happened to my happy ending? Why wasn't that closure point enough? Luckily, though, for the most part, those things outside of the movies are not usually considered canon. But there would be no excuse to not consider something canon if Bungie produces it. Like, there's simply no need to add anything to the Master Chief's story. It's done, and perfect! Sometimes things are better left unexplained. If Bungie did (however unlikely) add campaign scenarios, I would be teh sadz and disappointed.
M4730
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by M4730 »

Eh, just speculation really. I wasn't for or against the idea yet. Just kinda throwing ideas out there.

But to add to what you said, yea, Master Chief's story is done, but Master Chief's story wasn't the only one. It was the part you played yes, but there was so much more going on in the background and before you even got there that was also explained and established as canon, but never saw for yourself or experienced. I personally think it'd be neat to see the story unfold from a different angle. Also, that time speculation could have been started at any point. That could've taken place 287 years from any date, considering that the date of the transmission (or whatever) wasn't established. Also, no one knows who or what is making these reports or requests, given that we don't know when any of this took place.
KLind
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by KLind »

I'm always up for more exposition. Wonder if this is just a one hit thing, or if we should expect more messages. And if so, where should we look?
Ghost
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ghost »

I think that Luke Smith is jerking us around. Probably just another hint at what this map "Smuggler" will be. I was excited there for a moment, though.
The Se7enth Prophet
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by The Se7enth Prophet »

I'm hoping that we have another time-filler. I don't really care what it's for (be it a map, game announcement... hell, a bag of chips), these things are always fun.

However, I think the forums have already dissected what we already have to the point of death. There's not much more that can be said that hasn't been already. We look for clues (someone the other mentioned the letters "S" and "T" being suspicious in an HBO and Bungie posting... a clue, perhaps?) in all the usual places and wait for something to show up. If nothing, we are sadly disappointed. If something, we put our thinking caps on and prepare for epicness.
alstrong
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by alstrong »

Avateur wrote: That makes approximately 287 years since there was a reported "CONTAINMENT FAILURE" at Installation 05 to the point where we seemingly set foot on the Installation.

(The year) 2552 minus 287 (years) equals (the year) 2265.

Unfortunately, the Halo Story Page's Timeline on HBO has nothing referenced for the year 2265. Not sure if that's relevant at all, but I figured people would like to see the numbers.

Yeah, it was the first thing floating about in my head after figuring out the years, but there is no reason to correlate the 286 years with the present (2553). Now instead, consider the 300 year war with the Flood (mentioned in the terminals) and this 286 years figure seems to make a bit more sense (to me).

I haven't quite followed all the available information, but could it be possible that Delta Halo was close to the world the Flood were initially discovered? Let's say...soon after the war started, the Forerunner would have taken the samples to Delta, but being an entirely new organism, they didn't know how to contain it properly. But by the time the crap hit the fan, the Forerunner were too busy to deal with it, hence the lack of a response to requests for assistance.

On the flip side, the lack of response might be due to these events taking place post-firing of the Halo Array Network, and the 286 years just happens to be the last time the *something* made a report/request for assistance before the new Gravemind took over things.
Strife17O7
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Strife17O7 »

Ibeechu wrote:Even if they did, what could they add? And would we want them to? I wouldn't. Halo 3 ended the story better than I could have imagined. I don't want to ruin that by opening it back up again.Why can't stories just stay concise and clearly structured like they did back in the day? Star Wars is an example of almost doing it right. Episodes 4-6: Awesome. pure perfection. 1-3: Also great, and I didn't mind that they were prequels because that's how Lucas had planned them since the beginning. Part of Luca's original vision. Great job! Comic books, video games, novels... wait, what? The emperor gets reincarnated after Episode 6? What? What happened to my happy ending? Why wasn't that closure point enough? Luckily, though, for the most part, those things outside of the movies are not usually considered canon.:shock: But there would be no excuse to not consider something canon if Bungie produces it. Like, there's simply no need to add anything to the Master Chief's story. It's done, and perfect! Sometimes things are better left unexplained. If Bungie did (however unlikely) add campaign scenarios, I would be teh sadz and disappointed.
I'm sorry for going off-topic like this, I'm new. Please forgive.
But knowing a pretty good deal about SW expanded universe, I'd like to point out that there's canon SW story taking place both 2000+ years prior to Episode 1 and about 140 years after the events of Episode VI. And from what I know, of all Expanded story in existence there's probably only up to about 30% non-canon in the mix. All of it's pretty high quality, though, and what is canon is canon for good reason. But hey, if you like the short story, that's your choice. Stop at the end of the movies and leave the obsessing to the ultrafanboys and such. IDC that much...

That said, I don't see a very good reason why not to add on to the existing Halo story in some way or another. There's just SO much we don't know about it. So much detail I, for one would like to know. Especially with some of the wide open ends left by the novels.

Now then...is this update evidence of such expansion? I'm inclined to agree with the suggestion that this is simply an extended background/description of an in-dev MP map done in a less-than-conventional method.
It had me excited for a while.
And a fan can always hope, right?

I hope that wasn't all too out of line leastways...