Weekly Update Message Discussion [BWU - 5/30/08]

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Samusaaron3
Data [Authenticated]

Weekly Update Message Discussion [BWU - 5/30/08]

Unread post by Samusaaron3 »

At the end of the most recent Bungie weekly update (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx ... &cid=13931), there is a strange message.
The Smuggler

REPORT: CONTAINMENT FAILURE

LF.Xx.3273 research and containment facility; [delta site] has experienced catastrophic specimen containment failure. All apertures into facility will be locked until further notice. Atmosphere evacuation and [reduction of ambient temperature] protocols have already been enacted. Request maintenance and security detail [at earliest opportunity]. [8 minutes] elapsed since initial containment failure.

Waiting for maintenance and security detail. [32 minutes, 9 seconds] elapsed since request.

Still waiting for maintenance and security detail. [24 hours] elapsed since request.

REPORT: SECURITY BREACH

LF.Xx.3273 research and containment facility; [delta site] has experienced a security breach via emergency [slip stream space] transportation conduits. Emergency [slip stream space] transportation conduits have been placed in recursive mode to contain unauthorized hostile lifeforms. Request emergency security detail. Still waiting for primary maintenance and security detail. [2512332 hours, 14 minutes, 6 seconds]elapsed since initial request.

REPORT: DERELICTION OF DUTY

2401 [PENITENT TANGENT] has been lax in the areas of maintenance and security.
Seems sort of strange, huh?
Last edited by UnrealCh13f on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed Title
Ragamuffin
Data [Conditional]

Re: Weekly Update Message?

Unread post by Ragamuffin »

I am wondering about this as well... I'm not quite sure what to make of it. At first I thought I was misreading it; after all, it's stuck smack at the end of an otherwise normal update. But there must be a purpose to it.

The fact that this message coincides with the major Bungie.net updates yesterday might not be coincidence. Has anything else been found around the place?
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Re: Weekly Update Message? [General Discussion]

Unread post by Avateur »

I just posted my thoughts at HBO. Here they are:

Subject: Welcome back Iris, or new map reference?

I may have the answer. May I refer you all to last week's Bungie Weekly Update:
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx ... &cid=13824

"Before I went on holiday, Smuggler was a fun foray into rat-in-a-cage levels of carnage. Around each corner, atop each walkway, or camping the top ledge of a middle room was a Shishka, a Sketch, a Frankie or some other unnamable, jarring horror. Upon returning, Smuggler has become a picture perfect nearly majestic play space with sinister undertones. Pristine construction is foiled by a staunch reminder of how often the best laid plans can fail."

"2401 [PENITENT TANGENT] has been lax in the areas of maintenance and security." sounds to me like how some best laid plans of Containment can fail.

In reply: AlStrong to me:

Who/what made the reports & requests? ;) *NM*

In reply more: Me to AlStrong:

The Ark? Not sure.

Well, those sentinals on the Cartographer in the Ark sure went zipping off in a hurry with a job to do. Could this have been it?
Samusaaron3
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Samusaaron3 »

Flood infested Delta Halo map perhaps?
Ragamuffin
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ragamuffin »

Just remembered that (I believe) the working title of one of the new maps is "Smuggler." I'm pretty sure that, whatever this is, it's in reference to this new map. I knew that it wouldn't lead to anything truly new, but a little part of me had hoped for it anyways...

Anyways, assuming that the message is in reference to the new map, why would Bungie do something like this for just some downloadable map? My theory is this: The message uses the word "containment" multiple times, and in the Halo universe, that almost always means that there's Flood around. Could it be possible that this map will introduce AI-controlled Flood forms?
M4730
Data [Authenticated]

Newest Bungie Update

Unread post by M4730 »

interesting things there in the last few sentences...discuss?
Blinding
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Blinding »

It most likely relates to one of the new maps, but knowing Bungie, it might be something completely different. Damnit, why couldn't they do a Frankie-styled description of the latest builds of the maps. :[
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

LF.Xx.3273 was the Gravemind that communicated with Mendicant Bias. Judging that there is a security breach through 2401, and we know that the Gravemind that the Chief encountered was on the same ring as 2401, we now know that the Gravemind that spoke with MB is the same that we've seen.

Thus, the Gravemind has indeed listened through rock, metal, and time. 100,000 years worth of time.

EDIT: Possible flaw in my theory. Its possible that the reference to LF.Xx.3273 is a generic reference to the Flood Super Cell. More here:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/hal ... ead=880017
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

Alright. Math time.

2512332 hours, 14 minutes, 6 seconds.

Divided by 24 (hours in a day).

104680.5 (days). Divided by 365 (days in a year, forgetting leap years).

That makes approximately 287 years since there was a reported "CONTAINMENT FAILURE" at Installation 05 to the point where we seemingly set foot on the Installation.

(The year) 2552 minus 287 (years) equals (the year) 2265.

Unfortunately, the Halo Story Page's Timeline on HBO has nothing referenced for the year 2265. Not sure if that's relevant at all, but I figured people would like to see the numbers.
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

Account creation is back up. This is from Cthulhu117 at HBO:

-Smuggler is the name (codename?) of a map to be released in the next map pack.
-LF.Xx.3273 is the Forerunner designation for the Flood (more specifically, the Flood Supercell)
-"delta site" is almost certainly Delta Halo. It sure looked like there was containment failure to me.
-Atmospheric evacuation and lowering of ambient temperature? So, that's why it's snowing in the QZ...but atmospheric evacuation? Why would that stop the Flood? And how come it doesn't affect the Arbiter?
-Blah, blah, request is repeated a few times...obviously nobody's listening...Forerunners are dead.
-More repeats - this time, though, it's been ~286 years since the initial request. So the QZ battle has been going on for 286 years? Sure ain't a 100,000 years war. But how have the Flood kept fighting that long? Methinks someone unintentionally reinforced them...
-2401 gets blamed for it...well, what the hell was he going to do? He's got a fucking tentacle in his brains.
-Wait. If 2401 is being blamed for the containment breach, then he's *not* filing the report. But then...WHO WAS PHONE?