Progress can and may have blinded you.

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

AfRo SaUcE
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Progress can and may have blinded you.

Unread post by AfRo SaUcE »

LOL whoops, I didn't even see that, my bad, sorry for repeats then
ProfessorHojo05
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ProfessorHojo05 »

thebruce wrote:heh um... I think I mentioned that a few posts ago :P (and I'm sure I'm not the first to have thought of it anyhow)
And, like the Covenant, if the Forerunners are a conglomeration of a number of races and/or species
Either way, you mentioned it first in THIS discussion, therefore you deserve the credit for mentioning it. My thoughts were probably just a little different at the time. I had this big thing in mind when I posted previously, but I can't seem to remember it as well now.
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by MulletedOne »

A good story teller does not say things directly only to not really mean them, if you don't take things directly then you are essentially saying that Bungie are not good story tellers.

Also, "God" appeared in person during the time of Abram (aka Abraham) and Isaac (aka Israel), and as NORMAL people not machines.

Child of my makers could also mean "direct descendant" and actual CHILD of 343GS's MAKERS. He DOES NOT say "Adopted child of my makers" Also things are inherited by direct family (children/parents/married), things are found by meddlers, and things are donated to non direct family/strangers. When Bill Gates dies, his money is to be donated to charities, the charities do not inherit the money, for example. Plus we wouldn't be "reclaiming" anything we hadn't once claimed before, or else Bungie really sucks at knowing their dictionaries.
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

We are called the "Reclaimers" because we are reclaiming their world for them. They were the ones who claimed their world before, we're just reclaiming it. If Bungie was done telling Halo stories relavent to the matter, they'd pull a J.K. Rowling and at least clarify what has been revealed. That doesn't seem to be the case.
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

MulletedOne wrote:A good story teller does not say things directly only to not really mean them, if you don't take things directly then you are essentially saying that Bungie are not good story tellers.
Well first, that's what a metaphor is.
Second, yes, it is quite common, especially in poetry, not to consistently say "well I don't mean this literally, but..."
Good story telling will encourage imagination and thought, without pandering to the lowest common intellect, or patronizing the comprehension of a reader...

So no, I'm certain that we are not direct descendants of the Forerunners, and most definitely not just Master Chief. That said, this entire discussion is essentially speculation anyway since no "official" answer has been given outside the game text. Depending on what you consider an "answer".
Facultas Tempestas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Facultas Tempestas »

One thing I noticed in the level 'Halo' was that right before you enter the building where you fight 343GS, GS calls Johnson 'reclaimer.' If i remember correctly, Johnson asks GS if he can open the door and GS responds, "Of course I can, reclaimer."

So, its not just the MC.
spartan117
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by spartan117 »

reclaimers are all living humans. not just MC
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

DHalo wrote:We are called the "Reclaimers" because we are reclaiming their world for them. They were the ones who claimed their world before, we're just reclaiming it. If Bungie was done telling Halo stories relavent to the matter, they'd pull a J.K. Rowling and at least clarify what has been revealed. That doesn't seem to be the case.
They have already told us that the Halo franchise/story is not over, to some degree (and I don't mean Halo Wars)... see the Press Release on Bungie's split from Microsoft:
As part of [the split], Bungie and Microsoft have forged a deep and long-term development and publishing relationship focused on the continued success of the “Halo” franchise.
They told us that Halo 3 was the end of the trilogy... well, duh, the THIRD thing is ALWAYS the end of a "Trilogy", that's what makes it a Trilogy. I really don't even understand why Halo Wars is bearing the "Halo" name, since at that time the Human's had no idea that there were Halos out there, unless that is part of the plot of the game. Also, did technology not advance at all from Halo Wars to Halo:CE? That's pretty weak, since during wartime is when we historically ALWAYS see the greatest leap in technology. Something about killing things makes humans think better.

Anyway, point being that they aren't revealing anything Rowling-stylee because it ain't over... Cortana hasn't put on 200 pounds nor sung a single note.
spartan117
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by spartan117 »

fun fact about the weapons. they were only prototypes during the time of halo wars. and in 2552 they are standard weapons of the UNSC.
ClownX
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ClownX »

zoned out wrote:As you know English is based off of Latin.

Well, yes, but no. Sort of. Most English words are at least vaguely derived from Latin, but English itself is in fact a Germanic language.
--
In my opinion, I think that Forerunners saw all of this coming. I mean, who would design their structures like that in such a way that it would make for great firefights? ;)
In my opinion, I think that Forerunners saw all of this coming. They saw how humans would develop; they saw Latin developing.
--
Wait. Scratch that.
--
If ye read the terminals, the Librarian mentions in Terminal 4 that he is trapped on Earth. In Terminal 3, Librarian also mentions if Didact has learned anything in "these 300 years." What if, with Forerunner technology, they have ridiculously long lifespans, or they are immortal? It would make sense for Librarian to learn that Humans spoke Latin, and relay that information for later use by the Sentinels.