Last Cutscene **SPOILERS**

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Facultas Tempestas
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Last Cutscene **SPOILERS**

Unread post by Facultas Tempestas »

oh yeah. i understand that completely. i know the marathon story well enough (and probably better than you) to see all the flaws. not to mention that none of the original bungie writers are still with bungie (I do believe Jason Jones is gone now, correct?), which means that there is almost no chance of starting up something that was ended by a different group of people. hoping never hurt enyone though.
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Admiral Whitcomb »

cant remember where the info to back this up is- but i remember someone at bungie stating in an interview that the MC is the guy from Marathon- just a differnent reality

halo an odd quasi prequel to marathon? maybe...
Ibeechu
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Ibeechu »

Alex Seropian made that infamous quote, and it can be found here. It's really clear from context and Matt's response that Alex was just being sarcastic. Please, please don't take his words seriously.
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Admiral Whitcomb »

now i feel stupid... *needs to play H3*
Facultas Tempestas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Facultas Tempestas »

According to the "The Penultimate Bungie Giga-Quiz" (which I have failed quite miserably like 3 times) Alex Seropian also recanted that statement in a later interview (which is in that HBO link above). Also, the Quiz takes that quote as being quite literal, not sarcasm. I would guess that probably at first MC was the Security officer, but they changed the storyline later. Its also kinda vague as to what Seropian meant by what he said, was the Security Office literally the MC or is Seropian just saying that the two have identical roles and as far as Bungie is concerned, since they are the same 'type' of character, they are the same character?

Jason Jones also in an interview made an inference about (who I assume to be) Durandal helping Captain Keyes in his rout of the Covenant armada with the Keyes' Loop. To paraphrase, the question posed to Jones was something about how he came up with the names for the Pillar of Autumn and its sister ship (the name of which escapes me right now) and Jason, in a very Bungie-esque manner, said something to the effect of "What you should really be asking about is how did Keyes do with one ship what the entire UNSC forces could not do for years. There was someone else who was famous for destroying larger forces with one ship. Maybe Keyes had help..." Once again, that's not the exact quote, but its along those lines. If you know your Marathon history then you know that Durandal took on the western arm of the Pfhor Battle Group Seven with his ship the Hfarl (or was it Boomer?) and destroyed quite a good portion of it all by himself.

Overall, its fairly clear that the connection between Marathon and Halo was severed before H:CE even came out. The only ties between the two games are the similarity in the protaganist and the use of the Marathon symbol. Other than that, they're set in completely different universes. The only way the two could ever be connected in later installments of Halo would be if there was 1)some kind of change in the dating of years (which would also more or less necessitate a huge gap of probably centuries between the Covenant War and the Phor Invasion), and 2) if the Master Chief had some kind of amnesia where he could only remember the events of Halo in a deja vu sorta way.

That's my idea anyway.