Iris Rewards 3 and 4 are out!

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Server rewards... *sigh* When will it ever come?

Unread post by thebruce »

umm...
thebruce wrote:(yes, in-game all 500 were told they'd be rewarded, only 200 were)
And that doesn't mean they owe us anything in that strong a sense. We didn't pay for anything. What we want is for them to follow through on their statement that we'd each receive something as a reward for what we did... we didn't buy anything from them, there was no monetary exchange which they are legally bound to compensate.

We want them... very much... for their own respect and reputation... to complete their goal. Or at least, from our fan perspective, they "owe" us that much.
Doug52392
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Doug52392 »

They probably decided how it is very unfair that a lot of people got screwed with the prizes. I was one of the first to get to Server 4, but I got the runtime error. However, I assume the login with my Windows Live ID was recorded, but they probably don't want to have to give out prizes for everyone who at least halfway got in. You people should be lucky you at least got that message. All I got was the ASP.NET error page.
retina
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by retina »

What is your deal? Many people got that error, but you don't see them spamming IRC about how MS should polish up their code and get rid of the runtime error! We all know your story. I mean, you've already said it a trillion times... :roll:
TheLeggett
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by TheLeggett »

I sent a message to lukems regarding the server prizes. Like I've said before, I'm not sure that Bungie is directly responsible for the prizes or game, but maybe they know who is. I suggest we get a few others to contact other Bungie team members to hopefully get pointed in the right direction.

Here is my message to lukems:
Howdy Lukems,

I really doubt that you're the right person to be directing this question to, but perhaps you'll know who it needs to reach.

Awhile back, 500 people "unlocked" servers in the IRIS Halo Alternate Reality Game. All 500 were given a confirmation message telling them that they would receive prizes for participating in the game. The first 200 (from Servers 1 & 2) received some really cool Halo swag, but the latter 300 are yet to receive anything.

I'm not really looking to complain or anything, but a lot of us are curious as to whether or not we should be checking the mail everyday still. I know that 300 people hardly makes up any percentage of the Bungie community, or Halo's fanbase, but we'd like to think that we haven't been forgotten yet.

Anyways, if you know who the right person to pass this on too, it would be greatly appreciated if you could do that for us (or let me know who I need to contact). Thanks a bunch mate.

Best Regards,

David Leggett
Please don't mind the terrible spelling/grammar. It's really late... well, early... and I think I have mono. Hooray.
UnrealCh13f
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by UnrealCh13f »

I remember this page....

Hey, im just saying, they actually owe them something....
Heliophage
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Heliophage »

thebruce wrote:We didn't pay for anything. What we want is for them to follow through on their statement that we'd each receive something as a reward for what we did... we didn't buy anything from them, there was no monetary exchange which they are legally bound to compensate.
There doesn't need to be any 'monetary exchange' for them to be legally responsible to a contractual agreement. Typically there are "terms" or "agreements" which are specifically outlined for competitions similar to this, as with the Pontiac contests, that show what actions the parties are required to take, legally, and where liability falls (if at all) should they not abide by their agreement.

That said, I didn't see any such documentation during IRIS, so liability is entirely in the air. Because of that, there's nothing to say that they shouldn't be held responsible for the claim of a reward that wasn't fulfilled, but more importantly, there's nothing to say that they should. As such, all that anyone can really do is sit and wait.

...though, strangely enough, in the pic above it shows the "Terms and conditions". Did anyone bother to read those? Can we still access them somehow?

EDIT: If it was the typical Microsoft Xbox "Terms and conditions," then...
MICROSOFT CORPORATION AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE SUITABILITY, RELIABILITY, AVAILABILITY, TIMELINESS, AND ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, SERVICES AND RELATED GRAPHICS CONTAINED ON THE XBOX.COM WEB SITE FOR ANY PURPOSE. ALL SUCH INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, SERVICES AND RELATED GRAPHICS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS WITH REGARD TO THIS INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, SERVICES AND RELATED GRAPHICS, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
...it looks like they're free to make whatever promises they want without liability. Oh well.
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

well I didn't mean to say that legal requirement was only due to monetary exchange. That was just a parallel. As you say, unless it's in the terms and conditions that 500 entries will be rewarded, they're not legally bound to "owe" us anything. It's entirely our own trust in their word in a marketing game that had a reward system revealed by a fictional character, after it had started... I doubt there will be anything in the T&C binding them contractually to rewarding 500 entrants (let alone entrants across the world).

So once again, we want them desperately, for their own reputation and respect, to follow through on their in-game promise. In that sense, one might be able to say they 'owe' us something.

But I say, prepare for nothing. This wasn't all about the swag, if you really care about the story. If they send us something, grrrrreat! But there's no reason to stress out about all this, since we gave nothing with the strict intent of being compensated, not that that's a requirement. Look at it as a 'bonus', rather than a 'right'. It's doubtful the latter is true, and more doubtful that it would stand up in court =P

Anyhow, someone read the T&C ;)
AfRo SaUcE
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by AfRo SaUcE »

that would work
smallfry
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by smallfry »

Over at CI, there's a thread by TheKilla88 with pics of his server 3 package--apparently, the package was marked for 2-day delivery, and had a "mail by October 25" stamp on it (and a poster and an H3 keychain inside). So, I guess we have a reason to watch the mail again.

http://www.bungie.net/fanclub/118020/Fo ... D=13945800
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

Here's the actual pic itself:

I hate to say this, but until more than one person receives a Server 3 package, I can't call this legit. This exact same Iris poster was pinned up in a Microsoft cafeteria (pic in the Glyph topic in our Resources forum). The keychains are easily obtainable, like from the Bungie store. I personally believe this is the real deal, and I'm REALLY hoping that it is. Keep up hope everyone, but be cautious...