The Contender *Terminal Content and Halo 3 ending Spoilers*

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

The Contender *Terminal Content and Halo 3 ending Spoilers*

Unread post by MulletedOne »

It turns out that NAR is the Contender and that NAR's name is 05-032 Mendicant Bias. He was going to be used to study the Flood Central Mind in order to find a way to destroy it. However he is corrupted by the mind and goes rampant and aids the Flood in attacking the Forerunner Maginot Sphere, which is the equivalent to the Maginot Lines in France during WWII meant to keep Germany out. In this case, the Sphere was meant to keep the Flood out. Meanwhile, the Forerunner evacuate several into installations similar to that of the "Onyx Project", which we know as shield worlds.

Due to the Flood getting close the the Forerunner's main location, they decide to fire the rings, which ends up not helping Mendicant Bias in his task. The biological controllers of some of his ships end up dying. Offensive Bias took the opportunity to use the inactive ships to his advantage to severely decimate Mendicant Bias's fleet. MB barely escapes this destruction and goes into hiding.

After realizing what has happened, he decides that it is best for him to not work with the Flood, and as such the moment a pathway was opened with us and Compound Intelligence Adjutant Reflex, he decided to take it by force to warn us while leaving copies of the records in the terminals and the servers. The reason Adjutant Reflex didn't like MB was due to his betrayal and rampancy, but MB wants to repent and to help us finally win this battle against the Flood. And he feels that he needs to show that he has changed by keeping the ring stable long enough for Master Chief to escape in the end of Halo 3.

At least, that's how I read it.
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Re: The Contender *Terminal Content and Halo 3 ending Spoilers*

Unread post by Avateur »

Unfortunately, there's still Flood on the other Halo installations as well as whatever Forerunner study places are left floating about (such as on Threshold). When Bungie said we'd finish every fight started since HALO: CE, they meant it literally. The over-all fight is nowhere near finished. Unfortunate. Maybe some day we'll get answers? The question is, is MB still alive? He clearly found a way to communicate with us in the past. I wonder if there's any other traces beyond the Terminals.
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

You don’t know the contortions I had to go through to follow you here, Reclaimer. I know what you’re here for. What positions do I take? Will I follow one betrayal with another?

You’re going to say I’m making a habit of turning on my masters.

But the one that destroyed me long ago, in the upper atmosphere of a world far distant from here, was an implement far cruder than I. My weakness was my capacity – unintentional though it was! – to choose the Flood. A mistake my makers would not soon forgive.

But I want something far different from you, Reclaimer.

Atonement.

And so here at the end of my life. I do once again betray a former master. The path ahead is fraught with peril. But I will do all I can to keep it stable – keep you safe. I’m not so foolish to think this will absolve me of my sins. One life hardly balances billions.

But I would have my masters know that I have changed.

And you shall be my example.
Based on "And so here at the end of my life" I'd say MB died when the Ark was damaged and the Halo there was asploded. He does say specifically that he'd help keep things stable so the Reclaimer can survive.
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

I think you read a tad too much into it.

IMO heres the short in simple from my PoV.

MB is AR's Superior, who was created to exploit a weakness in the Flood structure that was found by the Forerunners. However, the Forerunner's unintentionally gave MB the freedom to choose; the freedom to choose the flood. And so he did.

Then, as he rushed to the Ark, he was stopped by Offensive Bias. And so we end up here in 2552, with MB betraying yet another former master to help the Reclaimer.
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Maginot is a term referring to a defensive structure, citing the name of a French Politician who called for the Maginot Line. Thus the Maginot Sphere is a defensive sphere and MB was trying to take it out from the inside, the Forerunner cut him off and OB nearly finished him off. MB got away but sometime between then and 2007 decided that he didn't want to be on the side of the Flood. That is why he contacted us. I read all the terminals in one sitting, both Legendary and regular, thus this isn't analysis, this is what I actually picked up by reading it one time, then applying that to IRIS.

It IS possible that the Maginot Sphere is the Sphere in the center of the Ark though, which would make both of us right. HOWEVER, the Halo effect affects ships in space around the Maginot Sphere and the Ark is outside the range of the Halo effect, meaning that MB wasn't at the Ark at all.
M4730
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by M4730 »

This "maginot sphere", do they say how large it was supposed to be?

[spoiler]Here's a theory. After the credits play by at the end of Halo 3 (on Legendary, of course), we see the half of the Dawn with MC and Cortana inside, driftng towards an artificial looking spherical object that's as big as a planet. During this scene, they do not explain how long they've been drifting, or where they are, but perhaps the terminals have explained it all?[/spoiler]

Just a theory, let me know what you guys think.
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

Avateur wrote:He clearly found a way to communicate with us in the past.
Not in the past, MB 'exists' here in our time, so what we received from him happened 500+ years in the past (of Halo 3's events). 500 years is short in the grand scheme of things, so his working with us now could easily been a part of his decision to atone for his sins of the last firing 100k years ago... no communicating through time :)