General Terminal Discussion *Campaign Spoilers*

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Scelus
Data [Authenticated]

Re: General Terminal Discussion *Campaign Spoilers*

Unread post by Scelus »

Yes.
SyrupHorder
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by SyrupHorder »

Well, isnt this just great. The month I am grounded, Halo3 comes out and out pop the new clues.
I better have a nice big seat waiting for me in heaven.
jeffwar7
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by jeffwar7 »

I know its off topic, I just had to say it's good to be back in action!!!!! So i gotta ask, did anybody get chills up their spine when walking into the terminal's for the first time in real time? Especially Terminal 7 , It was actually amazing standing in the terminal, looking down the hallway, and being in the same place that the episodes showed us!!! k thats all lol!! had to share that!
KLind
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by KLind »

jeffwar7 wrote:I know its off topic, I just had to say it's good to be back in action!!!!! So i gotta ask, did anybody get chills up their spine when walking into the terminal's for the first time in real time? Especially Terminal 7 , It was actually amazing standing in the terminal, looking down the hallway, and being in the same place that the episodes showed us!!! k thats all lol!! had to share that!
I've only read the text... It's seriously there? Need to find terminals now.
sharpsniper99
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by sharpsniper99 »

nice ABO's back!

btw, this guy did the job already: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=13233687

apparently though the terminals on legendary have different text
KLind
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by KLind »

sharpsniper99 wrote:nice ABO's back!

btw, this guy did the job already: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=13233687

apparently though the terminals on legendary have different text
Much more presentable version here:

http://halo.wikibruce.com/Terminals
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

I just read through all of the Terminals on Legendary. I've noticed that some of you here still haven't finished HALO 3's campaign on Legendary (and some of you haven't finished it at all yet), so I'll be posting my thoughts in the spoiler tag. These are my thoughts that I believe to be entirely correct. Obviously they are not fact, but merely rampant speculation that I believe to be the closest thing to fact. Enjoy.
[spoiler]I truly believe that Master Chief and Cortana are floating toward the Maginot. This almost makes me assume, though, that Mendicant Bias did more than keep things stable for us.

I'm not quite sure as to whether or not they made it out of the Ark in time; did they get hit by the Halo's blast, but Mendicant Bias somehow used it as a means of warping them to the Maginot? Or did they actually make it out of the Ark in time, but for some reason got warped randomly into space? I have a problem with the latter because what are the odds of them being warped "randomly into space" right by what appears to be some huge Forerunner world or artifact?

I've mentioned my Halo-blast-warp theory to HBO/ABOers over Xbox Live and on AIM, and from the way it sounds, I'm the only person to have considered it. It's honestly my personal theory, and the first thing I thought from the moment I saw it. Onyx? Nah. Pointless to go there if the Dyson Sphere is sealed shut. UESC Marathon? Sorry, wrong game. Covenant world? Yeah right. Mendicant Bias was sent to Installation 00 (The Ark) for study. The Terminals were formed and all that great stuff. We clearly see the 7th Terminal as part of the new Installation 04. He's definitely a part of that Installation. I'm willing to bet a lot of money that he'd be able to change how that thing fired to only affect a target of his choosing. He did say that the Reclaimer would be used as his example for how he's not all bad and such. What better way to prove it than to warp him to where there may still be some Forerunner life?--The Maginot.

Well, there's my thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to read this far (if you actually read it all word for word).[/spoiler]
FollyisFire
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by FollyisFire »

I've been away for a long time, good to see some familiar faces :)

I haven't really talked to anyone since the last server went up but yeah, missed ya brucey ;)

Anyway, Avatuer: Everything you have said thus far in this thread sounds spot on, especially your most recent theory.

I myself have been debating on the topic of it being the Maginot. It just doesn't make quite that much sense for it to be Onyx, like you said, the sphere is sealed shut.
smallfry
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by smallfry »

Avateur, everything you said made sense to me too, but two things give me pause--1, a Maginot line was a string of fortifications along a great distance--the use of the word 'Maginot' here by the terminals in what should be seen as a 'translated linguistic environment' makes me strongly tend to think of the 'Maginot sphere' as a portion of space delineated by strong defenses, not a single structure, however large. However, we are talking forerunner technology here, so I suppose it is possible. But, the terminal mentions that suddenly the flood fleet (led by MB) is beelining for one part of the 'Maginot sphere', and if it was even merely planetary size, I don't think that distinction would matter, or be noticeable that far out.

and 2, the image we were given in IRIS of that final planet (-like object?) was titled 'Infestation' and that is not a title that makes me think the Chief and Cortana are in for a warm welcome when they arrive.

Just some considerations which keep me from resting easily on one conclusion.
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

Those are definitely some good points. On the other hand, I think they can be explained by two things. First, the object that Forward Unto Dawn is floating toward could be far larger than it looks. Think about how big Halo was in comparison to Threshold--it was pretty tiny. The ship floating toward that object still seemed to be "some ways out" from it, and thus we didn't get a good idea of how big it actually is. I believe this object is the "Maginot Sphere."

Second, the Maginot could be two things: the literal object itself, aka the is the Maginot Sphere that I believe Forward Unto Dawn is floating toward, AND a Maginot line itself, possibly consisting of Shield Worlds such as Onyx. 343 Guilty Spark did mention the plural form of "Shield Worlds," thus implying that Onyx was not the only one. Now, the Maginot Sphere, or the literal object shown in the final cutscene, may be more than just a Shield World. It may be entirely different from one. In theory, and looking deeply at the context and wording of dialogue and terminals in HALO 3, these do offer possible explanations for just what we saw and what was stated.