General Terminal Discussion *Campaign Spoilers*

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Re: General Terminal Discussion *Campaign Spoilers*

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

Ryoseth wrote: I also speculate that...perhaps in 11 days [Oct 14th i believe[the date the new halo countdown timer ends]] is when we might get some more insight.
The Legendary ending to H3 is really satisfying, and Bungie has said that H3 was the end of the trilogy [from what i understand, i can't name the source however]
but the extra ending just gives a satisfying..."HMMMMMmmmm...?" to it.
it's like there will be a Halo 4...or...perhaps the current "Bungie Project" [involving Weta and Peter Jackson] is a continuation of MC and Cortana.
::
True, just because the "Halo" Trilogy is ending (i.e., the Galaxy is no longer in danger of the Halo Array because the Humans aren't going to fire it, the Flood are dead, and there is no longer a schism in the Covenant), doesn't mean that John and Cortana's journey is through. So, there may not be any more "Halo" games, but there could be a movement onto the next saga... whatever it may be.

Also, I agree with DHalo -- he says "trade", meaning trading the Covenant enemy for the Flood.
ProfessorHojo05
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ProfessorHojo05 »

Ryoseth wrote:I'm a little confused by everyone's use of the term "Maginot"
from my understanding, a Maginot is, basically, a perimiter between hostile territory and non-hostile territory.
So in Halo's case...it's the territory beyond the blast radius of the Halo array.
The Ark was beyond the blast radius of the Halo Array, however it itself had a Halo, which MC activated.
could someone please elucidate on this a little for me?
as for picture 99, on the LE disc image gallery.
that seems like a viable concept illustration for...whatever Cortana and MC are drifting towards.
I also speculate that...perhaps in 11 days [Oct 14th i believe[the date the new halo countdown timer ends]] is when we might get some more insight.
The Legendary ending to H3 is really satisfying, and Bungie has said that H3 was the end of the trilogy [from what i understand, i can't name the source however]
but the extra ending just gives a satisfying..."HMMMMMmmmm...?" to it.
it's like there will be a Halo 4...or...perhaps the current "Bungie Project" [involving Weta and Peter Jackson] is a continuation of MC and Cortana.
By the use of Maginot, we are not only using the proper name for this new instillation or what ever it is, but we have speculated that is functions as a barrier between the Flood and what ever is inside this Maginot Sphere, or behind it, or what ever. From what I have been able to glean from the Terminals, MANY people(s) fled to the Maginot Sphere as a final stand against the Flood and that the Forerunners weren't the only ancient race. It APPEARS that there may have been others as well. Much like a peaceful version of the Covenant, and the Forerunners were like the Prophets....the leaders of this galactic union of many species. Now, I can go a long way with this, but I just haven't had the time to make a new thread. I will soon though.
spartan117
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by spartan117 »

nope. tried
WarDemonX
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by WarDemonX »

I saw this cutscene when playing Halo 3, and thought it might have something to do with the topic at hand. The specific cutscene I'm speaking of starts around 5:10, and continues until the line "What is it?" when the game goes off the subject.

Spoilers, BTW, in case no one realized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3KCvLIKq8w
Ryoseth
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ryoseth »

WarDemonX wrote:I saw this cutscene when playing Halo 3, and thought it might have something to do with the topic at hand. The specific cutscene I'm speaking of starts around 5:10, and continues until the line "What is it?" when the game goes off the subject.

Spoilers, BTW, in case no one realized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3KCvLIKq8w
I think 343 notices the new "Halo"

an important question i ask myself...
ok, Cortana's first relay to us was when all the characters were in the Shipmaster's quarters listening to her message.
she talks about a "way to stop the flood without firing the remaining halo rings."
was she talking about the Halo in the Ark? or was she talking about something else?

if it was the halo on the ark, how would it have been a way to 'stop the flood'...i mean. "The Ark" was built to be sort of a haven away from the halo rings.
what's the purpose of a halo on the Ark? it would kill ALL the beings residing their.
does this mean that the flood were intended to enter the ark? and THEN the halo would be fired?

another question...
ok, lets talk about Truth. he was going to The Ark in order to activate all the halo rings for The Great Journey.
was he aware that The Ark was outside of the Array's blast radius? thus...all of the covenant with him at the Ark would be unaffected?
or are we to assume Truth was oblivious to this detail of how the Halo's operated?

which bounces into another question.
let's talk about the flood. ok...so the Halo Matrix kills all their 'food'. so lets think about the fleet going to Maginot. the halo's were fired mid flight during battle. what's still stopping the fleet from continuiing to Maginot or The Ark? so they have no more food left...outside the barrier of Maginot anyways. when they get past it...their lye the foreunners and all their indexed life forms. not to mention the loss of any hope for containing the flood. or destroying it.

so do we think the flood are actually gone? done for? defeated?

this all may be minor scratches on the surface of Bungie's story...that they may have figuratively "buffed out", to make the story flow nicely.
if not, please comment.
sorry for the long post. and the lack of coherance, it was more of a constant type. instead of a thought out post.
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

The "Believe" videos, while being an interesting part of HALO 3's marketing, are not canon (as stated by Bungie) and also completely irrelevant to this topic or this forum. The other day I did post in HBO's forums about the fact that the video was not up yet, but no one replied or seemed to care. Microsoft will either get around to it, or they won't.

Now, back on topic:

Ryoseth, at first I thought that 343 Guilty Spark noticed that Installation 04 was being recreated, too, until he mentioned something that I still can't hear entirely about how we must get to the core of the Ark before something does something to something. It seems to me that he discovered something else. Assuming this is correct, as to what he found out, well, we may never know.

And as for what Cortana found out, it almost makes me wonder if her plans changed the moment High Charity flew into the Ark. If there was some other plan for the galaxy in general, either there was no time to bring it up with all of the action in the Ark, or she forgot. No idea.

Also, Gravemind popping in and saying that something all made sense now... made no sense to me. What made sense? Cortana got popped back into Master Chief's head, and then it was like Gravemind was linked to Master Chief's mind and got some amazing info out of it, but we never found out what. There were MANY unanswered questions in HALO 3, and this is obviously another one.
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

No offense to anyone but it seems like I'm the only person who can really grasp the story from the game.

When 343 said we must get there, or something along those lines, he followed that up with, "Or the Meddler will destroy it all!"

Gravemind said that her secret was revealed, because she had just openly revealed it. Remember that the Gravemind throughout the level wanted to know what she hid; the secret plan that Cortana had. Which was to activate Halo with the activation index she had from the first Halo. However, this open display of the Index made it rather simple for Gravemind to just watch her show Chief.
Kashaku
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kashaku »

DHalo wrote:No offense to anyone but it seems like I'm the only person who can really grasp the story from the game.

When 343 said we must get there, or something along those lines, he followed that up with, "Or the Meddler will destroy it all!"

Gravemind said that her secret was revealed, because she had just openly revealed it. Remember that the Gravemind throughout the level wanted to know what she hid; the secret plan that Cortana had. Which was to activate Halo with the activation index she had from the first Halo. However, this open display of the Index made it rather simple for Gravemind to just watch her show Chief.
I got that...what gravemind wanted....be it because I'm tired, or what ever, I don't get who spark means by meddler...

And i have a feeling I sound like an idiot right now
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

Ah, very nice looking out DHalo. See, my problem was that I couldn't understand that single line you just posted from 343 Guilty Spark. The music and things decided to overpower the dialogue and I was lost on it.

I suppose it makes sense that he could have been referring to Truth destroying Installation 04 (upon realizing that's what was being rebuilt, and the Ark's activation of all of the rings would have destroyed his own, too), but there's still a problem with that. Look at how he worded "The meddler will destroy it all!" The Ark? The Halo Installations? Shield Worlds? Why not just say "The meddler will destroy the Ark?" Something's not right with the wording. He also told everyone that he found out that Installation 04 was being remade maybe a few moments before it busted out of the clouds. Either he was lying and knew about it from the moment he made the comment in question, or he realized something else at the Cartographer. So, again, we have no true idea as to what he figured out assuming he's telling the truth about being unaware until just that moment about Installation 04's return.

Now, 343 Guilty Spark may have had an idea (or been positive) of Installation 04's creation based on his conversation with Mendicant Bias at the terminal that showed up previously in the level, which would then allude to him being extremely aware of how Truth's activation of the Array would end up making his precious Halo blow up. Unfortunately, this new Installation 04 isn't in standby status like the others. Add to that the fact that 343 Guilty Spark's mind goes straight to how if Installation 04 gets activated by Johnson, the Ark will be damaged/destroyed. He THEN realizes that his precious Installation 04 will be destroyed, too. Why would it take him to just then to realize that his Halo would go bye bye again if he already made that connection regarding Truth? Something is HORRIBLY wrong here.

I didn't consider the possibility that Gravemind said what he did in relation to the Index being revealed, especially since Gravemind pops into your screen some time after you were shown the Index. While you may be entirely correct, I think you may be entirely wrong. After all, Cortana did say that she knew of a way to defeat the Flood that involved not firing the Halo Installations. Using the Index on Installation 04 obviously involves firing one of them.

Gravemind had no idea what the Ark was, and Cortana may not have known, either. Yes, she was in the actual control panel of Installation 04, but the knowledge she would have obtained would have been the same knowledge that 343 Guilty Spark had--limited knowledge of the Ark or its purpose, which led 343 Guilty Spark to assume that the Ark was just another Shield World. I don't see how Cortana could have possibly known that the Ark would be rebuilding Installation 04 (let alone knowing about its true purpose beyond firing off the entire Halo Array, if even knowing that). She didn't even know that we were working with 343 Guilty Spark until after she had gotten back into Master Chief's head, which tells us that she probably had no access to the control room of Installation 05 to hear the conversation between Miranda and 343 Guilty Spark about the Ark and the Halo Array.

So, it would appear that we still have some HUGE unanswered story elements. If only Bungie would answer some of these things for us some day...
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

I was only able to skim, and I've gotta go, but in a few words...

Gravemind spoke to you in the hallway RIGHT after you rescue Cortana, so it seems to correlate there. Also, the Foundry in the discussion of the Terminal is probably how 343 had that idea.