S.O.T.A. Unexplained

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Winter Soldier
Data [Undefined]

S.O.T.A. Unexplained

Unread post by Winter Soldier »

The one thing that I still don't get is what SOTA has yet to do. But from what I understand is that Iris is automated and works without people controlling it. For example on The Artifact Location the page info at first said a date and time of the site expiring once that time hit it revealed the next set of numbers. Then a new site expiring time came up and it revealed the next set of numbers. If you're still not convinced after a server was unlocked the site expiration time changed and at that time the server was made public. Now what I'm driving at here is that the S.O.T.A. website says it expires on "Thursday, September 06, 2007 5:30:21 AM". I beleive it's to early to say that Iris is over because remember that Bungie said "Iris will run up to Halo 3's launch date September 25th" so if S.O.T.A. has anything those 19 days between S.O.T.A.'s expiration and Halo 3's launch will reveal it.
Flex
Data [Conditional]

Re: S.O.T.A. Unexplained

Unread post by Flex »

I think it's kinda, used in Episode 1, to start off Iris...

And I think no more info is gonna be released with this and stuff like that :)
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Winter Soldier wrote:I beleive it's to early to say that Iris is over because remember that Bungie said "Iris will run up to Halo 3's launch date September 25th"
They never said this. Here is the article everyone misread:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=77905

From the article:
It's designed to give us more information on how the great conflict all began, as we build up to the climactic conclusion of the series on 26th September.
It means the Halo trilogy reaches its "climactic conclusion" on the 26th (the article is European; the 26th is the European release date for Halo 3). But lots of people misunderstood and believed that Iris would run until the 26th.
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by MulletedOne »

Maimbot 9000 wrote:
Winter Soldier wrote:I beleive it's to early to say that Iris is over because remember that Bungie said "Iris will run up to Halo 3's launch date September 25th"
They never said this. Here is the article everyone misread:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=77905

From the article:
It's designed to give us more information on how the great conflict all began, as we build up to the climactic conclusion of the series on 26th September.
It means the Halo trilogy reaches its "climactic conclusion" on the 26th (the article is European; the 26th is the European release date for Halo 3). But lots of people misunderstood and believed that Iris would run until the 26th.

Finally, someone who wasn't blinded by progress.
Agent ME
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Agent ME »

Winter Soldier wrote:Now what I'm driving at here is that the S.O.T.A. website says it expires on "Thursday, September 06, 2007 5:30:21 AM".
That's just when the page cache expires - if you clear your cache and visit the page tomorrow, it'll say that it expires the next day.
Power to IRIS
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Power to IRIS »

Agent ME wrote:
Winter Soldier wrote:Now what I'm driving at here is that the S.O.T.A. website says it expires on "Thursday, September 06, 2007 5:30:21 AM".
That's just when the page cache expires - if you clear your cache and visit the page tomorrow, it'll say that it expires the next day.
Also, it just means that if you left up that version of the page until that date, it would kill the page completely and say that it couldn't be read any further :ugeek: .
Agent ME
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Agent ME »

No, the website page file has been exactly the same version since the first server. They haven't edited the files at all since.

The page, or the server tells your browser that the page expires in 9 or so days, and your browser evaluates that when you look in the info of the page, and tells you that date. That doesn't mean the site is going to shut down in 9 days unless someone does something - it means if you visit the site again after 9 days, it tells the browser not to use the cache and connect to the site and see if there's an update (which there hasn't been since before the arg started).
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

Not to be a party pooper, but the amount of action anyone has seen with regard to Iris since the opening of Server 5 last month--outside the glyphs and Iris references used in Halo 3 promotional materials--should be evidence enough that this game is over. :o

That said, I think we (and I include myself in this) are all hoping something new Iris-wise will pop up before our collective attentions are drawn to a glowing screen in the early morning hours of September 25th. :)
KLind
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by KLind »

Frogwart wrote:Not to be a party pooper, but the amount of action anyone has seen with regard to Iris since the opening of Server 5 last month--outside the glyphs and Iris references used in Halo 3 promotional materials--should be evidence enough that this game is over. :o

That said, I think we (and I include myself in this) are all hoping something new Iris-wise will pop up before our collective attentions are drawn to a glowing screen in the early morning hours of September 25th. :)
I think more will be revealed in the Terminals. Thats why we should keep the forum.
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

I am starting to wonder if SOTA and the Membership Application was used PRE-Iris... as in, it was an internal MS company thing, to recruit people to fly out to New York and all those places where there were SOTA demonstrations. Then, after they had enough members, Aaron Elliott commented out the code and it was supposed to stay hidden. Just a guess, but it seems to be that way.