Forerunner question that will have a point once answered...

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Forerunner question that will have a point once answered...

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

Here is a question that has been bugging me for quite a while, and I have looked everywhere, but can't find an answer. Maybe someone a little more informed could help a guy out:

Have we/anyone located any Forerunner home worlds? Where are they? What was there?

This, I promise, will have a point and tie in to the Iris story no matter how this question is answered, but I would like to start the discussion here. I want to keep this out of the realm of speculation, so please just stick to things we know. Maybe you already know where I am going with this...

Edit: rewording for clarification
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Forerunner question that will have a point once answered...

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

I don't have it handy, but I believe there's a reference in Conversations from the Universe to the Prophets being from (or claiming to be from) a Forerunner colony world. Beyond that I don't think we have anything. No apparent homeworld discovered, no cities, only the one ship powering High Charity, etc.
simonmuran
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by simonmuran »

Where did you get that information from?
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

simonmuran wrote:Where did you get that information from?
Conversations from the UniverseI am reading up on it now... funny, I even have the H2:LCE, but I didn't read this booklet. So far, I don't see exactly Maimbot's info, but I am not done reading yet.

edit: finished the wikipedia page, but didn't see what Maimbot claimed. It wasn't the actual booklet, however, so I am not 100%.
edit2: My wife (who's the awesomestest) is meeting me for lunch and bringing me the CftU booklet in an hour or so. Sweet!
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

It may not be in there, but I'm certain I've read it before. I haven't read the novels, so I'm not sure where else I could have picked it up. Maybe not in the Conversations but the character-class descriptions in the instruction manual proper?
WFGeppetto
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by WFGeppetto »

Maimbot 9000 wrote:I don't have it handy, but I believe there's a reference in Conversations from the Universe to the Prophets being from (or claiming to be from) a Forerunner colony world. Beyond that I don't think we have anything. No apparent homeworld discovered, no cities, only the one ship powering High Charity, etc.
I think I know what you mean. If I am wrong then this will only support what you have said anyway. In the Ghosts of Onyx, the Elite that is used for 1st person several times in the book, "thinks" about his role, before slaying his superior at the very beginning of the civil war. I don't have the text handy, but he is thinking about a certain prohpet, and why they think that they are so special, he states (1st person "thinks") "every elite knows that the Prophets came from a world previously inhabited by the Ancients(forerunners)".

I have read all the books, a few times, and several other sources that can be considered cannon. To the best recollection of my memory, this is the closest thing we have to what you are asking for. Onyx was likely inhabited by forerunners at one time, but that is simply speculation (obviously they built it) This single reference is the closest I've seen to anything making mention of a Forerunner homeworld.
ProfessorHojo05
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ProfessorHojo05 »

From what I remember being said in the books, the Prophets believe that they truly are religious leaders because they evolved on a Forerunner world that had a great deal of Forerunner technology just sitting around......like a disaster (halo firing) had occurred and only the people not the constructs were gone. This let them to believe that their gods (the Forerunners) had blessed them and gave them charge to be the leaders of the Covenant. I think that the Prophets then used what they found in the remains of the Forerunner technology to search for them, found out about the halo constructs, and found the other races who they then converted to their religion in order to use them for their own purposes. Religion can delude people. What would we do if faced with a physical power we could see and experience but didn't understand, and it was being called an act of God's messengers? This could explain how the Covenant came into being, because no where else have I seen evidence that the Grunts, Elites, Hunters, or any other species besides the Prophets could have developed a space faring technology. The Hunters appear to have VERY limited brain power, the grunts obviously aren't that intelligent, and would a warrior race like the Elites or Brutes have a weak being like the Prophets as their leaders if they didn't show some kind of godlike power?
Yavanna
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Yavanna »

i think i remember some references (or at least some inferences) to the prophet/forerunner connection during the deleted "mural scene" on the bonus disc that came with the Halo2 limited edition. i would double check but i lent my friend my copy of Halo2 >_<;
theteal1
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by theteal1 »

Also, that crystal was found under Reach. There had to have been some Forerunner there.

And Sigma Octanus, where they found the rock that led them to the first Halo.
AfRo SaUcE
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by AfRo SaUcE »

Onyx. Has the only known Forerunner City. Also is a Dyson Sphere and they have that slipspace rift in it so that the Forerunner can save themselves from the pulse of the Halos.