End Game/Press Start to Begin...

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Re: End Game/Press Start to Begin...

Unread post by thebruce »

DC:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1252
and
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1249&start=10

plenty explained... unanswered questions raised for elements from our era, but for the Halo arc, more has been explained.
DC Tactical
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by DC Tactical »

DHalo wrote:A. Humans are NOT decendants of the Forerunners. Highly disputed until now and was a support for many theories.

B. Flood were NOT created by the Forerunners. Also disputed and was also a support for many theories.
Wow, an entire ARG dedicated to learning this? I know the ARG was to promote the sense of community and Halo 3, but come on! This to me is a complete waste of time and money it took to make Iris. I would have rather had a completely different side story to Halo 3, than to learn just a couple tidbits of information.
writer87
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by writer87 »

you sir are making the parts greater than the whole. It was really about the community as any ARG is. Hell you could make an ARG just to find out a date or something completely trivial like that. But even then it would be the community aspect that made it worth while, not the few facts or swag that was received.
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

Those two pieces of info to me are quite valuble. Those two pieces of knowledge are probably worth more than the info divuldged in Halo 2, as only Halo 2's last level really gave us anything to chew on. You may not realize it, but Halo 2 didn't answer many questions either.

IRIS was more of a promotional tool for Halo 3 than a game for existing community members.

In all actuality though, IRIS seems to be a more of a lead-in than a tie-in to Halo 3's continuation, as the terminals will (hopefully) answer what "spot" AR was refering to, and many other untold secrets we were "not yet ready" for. The reason we aren't ready is just so Bungie can include them in Halo 3.

I personally believe that Halo 3's terminals will reveal more than IRIS itself did.
SinisterMinister
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by SinisterMinister »

But even then it would be the community aspect that made it worth while, not the few facts or swag that was received.
Perhaps. I feel that, in the end, many people playing the game were more attracted to the prestige of being one of the 500 and receiving the prizes, rather than the information, because the information was so cryptic, sparse and, frankly, boring. Those of us who have speculated about Halo's storyline from the beginning merely had a few of their theories narrowed.

From the tone of the article, it sounds like the development team spent most of their time arranging all the contacts necessary to spread content to every conceivable media outlet, rather than creating the content itself, which then required the community to have its fingers in as many proverbial pots as possible just to find the clues. Then, topping it off with a winner/loser scenario was just a bad decision. Every game that requires cooperation to progress but awards individual achievement inevitably finds the community playing against part of itself, a situation better reserved for H3 multiplayer than an ARG.

If they wanted to promote community, they could have just done TAL-coordinates with different cities on each server, or several cities at the very end, to go hang out with fellow Iris-ers, maybe watch a short film that would fill in holes in the story, get to play some H3 multiplayer if Bungie cleared it, that sort of thing. Maybe we should do it anyway.
ClownX
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ClownX »

The site has a ringtone which unlocks a secret site? Sweet! Oh, it's just that one site with the guy that found the Server 3 BPC by accident. Darn.
Aegis
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Aegis »

SinisterMinister wrote:
But even then it would be the community aspect that made it worth while, not the few facts or swag that was received.
Perhaps. I feel that, in the end, many people playing the game were more attracted to the prestige of being one of the 500 and receiving the prizes, rather than the information, because the information was so cryptic, sparse and, frankly, boring. Those of us who have speculated about Halo's storyline from the beginning merely had a few of their theories narrowed.

From the tone of the article, it sounds like the development team spent most of their time arranging all the contacts necessary to spread content to every conceivable media outlet, rather than creating the content itself, which then required the community to have its fingers in as many proverbial pots as possible just to find the clues. Then, topping it off with a winner/loser scenario was just a bad decision. Every game that requires cooperation to progress but awards individual achievement inevitably finds the community playing against part of itself, a situation better reserved for H3 multiplayer than an ARG.

If they wanted to promote community, they could have just done TAL-coordinates with different cities on each server, or several cities at the very end, to go hang out with fellow Iris-ers, maybe watch a short film that would fill in holes in the story, get to play some H3 multiplayer if Bungie cleared it, that sort of thing. Maybe we should do it anyway.
I could not have said it better. While I understand that it has brought us together on IRC and forums, I do very much agree that this became quite an individualized competition. To the point where forums and the IRC were flooded with leechers simply to grab a posted key URL and claim a prize!

However, I cannot say I didn't have fun, nonetheless! Thank you to everyone who participated, without you and this forum, I wouldn't have enjoyed this nearly as much as I did.

... And yes, it was a neat, if not climactic tie in. Hope to see AdjunctReflex in Halo 3! xD
Matriculate
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Matriculate »

Didn't they find a huge object underground during ILB? How did that not relate?

I wish the audio files were in a text format.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

So, stupid question, I know, but when can we expect our "limited edition" cd/dvds of Iris content (a la ILB)?

Really, such a thing (at this time) doesn't yet exist (prove me wrong, Microsoft, and let me buy more Halo-related goodies with my hard-earned cash)--I'm just being a smartass. ;)
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

We did the recap work for 'em this time around.