Log5_Transcript General Discussion

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

DaRrin W
Data [Conditional]

Re: Log5_Transcript General Discussion

Unread post by DaRrin W »

kudo43 wrote:I was thinking it all over... I have an interesting albeit far fetched theory...
[spoiler]What if the forerunners were physic. I mean they were able to communicate with each other without words or anything (think of an internet of consciousness). Assuming we also have a benign psychic traits what if we were able to block out their thoughts (we have a firewall)... This would make sense because the flood did not come to earth and absorb us. Rather, the Gravemind could not sense our input into the collective unconscious of the universe, and thus the planet appeared to serve no use to him. "The invisible bridges between us all" reminds me of the force. Something that binds us together mentally. What if we have this ability to hide our collective consciousness from the flood through this "firewall." That unlike them, our minds could resist infection from this being, that we couldn't be contaminated remotely. Also it would make sense that the forerunners had to eliminate themselves completely for the plan to work (because if they existed the Gravemind would continually be able to find them through the collective unconscious... The ark I think serves two purposes.

The first I believe is a shield of sorts, something that would prevent our destruction when the halos were fired. They knew that they couldn't kill the Gravemind with the halos, it was too powerful (too amorphous), but they could limit its progress, and at the same time, cover their tracks (to us, a species that could in theory, defeat them). The second purpose I propose, is that it is the weapon the forerunners built. In one of the Episodes, the video said something like, "it gave us a way to fight it." What if because of their weakness to the flood, they couldnt use it, because the Gravemind would become aware of the plan and send his armies to crush the creation of such an object. But what if you instead send robots (something that has no physic traits) to a world that the flood doesn't care about. Build the weapon there, with a species that can use it without being detected. Then to prevent the info from reaching the flood, they used the halos as a diversionary tactic, hoping, praying that we would remember the site and destroy the flood. Reclaimers are humans because we are meant to reclaim the galaxy and restore order imo... We're meant to use the Ark to "finish the fight."

I dunno... longshot... but it might explain some things... Why worlds fell so quickly for them (if people could be infected remotely... think hackers on an internet full of computers with no firewall)... also why the gravemind was able to speak to them remotely... why they were able to find out there was a Gravemind in the first place...[/spoiler]

Well, that's my shot in the dark. Thoughts? Opinions?
That leads to more thinking. What about if the Flood are actually the galaxy "cleansers"? What if they are the start and end of life to renew it, like an excellerated break down of basic DNA and then it allows for a fresh new start with new species from scratch? Kinda like an autonomous bio-degradable machine... all of nature breaks down and renews itself, like the seassons, or the earth... it all has cycles, what if the Flood is part of that cycle. On biblical terms it would be equivalent to the big FLOOD and Noah's ARK story... there could be a huge relation there. God's anger at man for not following his instructions was to wipe out everyone and start again... What if it is the universe's natural design is to have these things wipe out all life and start again?
DaRrin W
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by DaRrin W »

theShadowfox wrote:
Maimbot 9000 wrote:WHAT THE HELL

I think there's another race out there, one that came before all others and then vanished. Except not quite. This is a race so advanced that the Forerunners can't find them, but they're still here, watching. They are the civilization that left behind the buildings, which the Forerunners carefully moved to the Halos. They are the civilization that visited the Halos, recorded what they saw, and left. And they are the civilization that messed with human DNA, making us advance far faster than we would have otherwise. It is this last thing that makes us special to the Forerunners. They knew about Earth a long, long time ago--the shot of Pangea proves this. When they came back here and found us 100,000 years ago, they weren't expecting to find us in our current state. Something had happened to us. Which is why they were cataloging the DNA of every species on Earth--to try to figure out what had happened.

FINISH THE FIGHT

Remember Myth? Light and Dark in cycles, always fighting. Dark here is the Flood. Light is whatever race is sufficiently advanced to knock the Flood out of our galaxy for a while. These pre-Forerunner fought the Flood and lost. On their way out, they messed with Forerunner DNA to advance them, to get them ready to take over the fight. When it became clear the Forerunner weren't going to win, either, they came back and messed with us, as new contenders.
Okay, theres creative. And then theres overthinking.
The Forunners probably thrived as a species. They probably took the pictures of Pangea and came back later to influence our culture.
Now, if there were pre-Forerunners, they'd probably just be ancient Forerunners and they had lost a piece of their past (Due to Civil War or some dispute). Also, Cortana is an AI, but she isn't perfect. [AND Forerunner architecture is...well less than desirable for fighting Flood]

I agree that there's an obvious correlation to Myth - light in one hand, dark on the other.
theShadowfox
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by theShadowfox »

DaRrin W wrote: That leads to more thinking. What about if the Flood are actually the galaxy "cleansers"? What if they are the start and end of life to renew it, like an excellerated break down of basic DNA and then it allows for a fresh new start with new species from scratch? Kinda like an autonomous bio-degradable machine... all of nature breaks down and renews itself, like the seassons, or the earth... it all has cycles, what if the Flood is part of that cycle. On biblical terms it would be equivalent to the big FLOOD and Noah's ARK story... there could be a huge relation there. God's anger at man for not following his instructions was to wipe out everyone and start again... What if it is the universe's natural design is to have these things wipe out all life and start again?
That also seems far-fetched...And you are tieing it too much to the known religious event. Bungie is just obviously not creative when it comes to names (no one ever is...probably because creative names sound crazy).
Also, without space travel, the Flood would never have happened. How can nature, something usually only tied to a single body(i.e. a plant or star or something of that magnitude) incorporate space travel into its restart "program"?
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

DaRrin W wrote:That leads to more thinking. What about if the Flood are actually the galaxy "cleansers"? What if they are the start and end of life to renew it, like an accelerated break down of basic DNA and then it allows for a fresh new start with new species from scratch? Kinda like an autonomous bio-degradable machine... all of nature breaks down and renews itself, like the seasons, or the earth... it all has cycles, what if the Flood is part of that cycle. On biblical terms it would be equivalent to the big FLOOD and Noah's ARK story... there could be a huge relation there. God's anger at man for not following his instructions was to wipe out everyone and start again... What if it is the universe's natural design is to have these things wipe out all life and start again?
The parallels between the Biblical story and the Halo story are obvious--however, it's something much more Bungie, a la Myth that we see that cycle of light and dark. As people have speculated in the past, "as tenacious as life is it has an antithesis just as powerful" could be simply referring to death. By that frame of logic, the Flood are as elemental to death as the Forerunner or the Covenant or humanity is to life. Pretty simple stuff, and yet it's the simple stuff that is usually overlooked.
theShadowfox
Data [Conditional]

Echelon Three wrote:
DaRrin W wrote:That leads to more thinking. What about if the Flood are actually the galaxy "cleansers"? What if they are the start and end of life to renew it, like an accelerated break down of basic DNA and then it allows for a fresh new start with new species from scratch? Kinda like an autonomous bio-degradable machine... all of nature breaks down and renews itself, like the seasons, or the earth... it all has cycles, what if the Flood is part of that cycle. On biblical terms it would be equivalent to the big FLOOD and Noah's ARK story... there could be a huge relation there. God's anger at man for not following his instructions was to wipe out everyone and start again... What if it is the universe's natural design is to have these things wipe out all life and start again?
The parallels between the Biblical story and the Halo story are obvious--however, it's something much more Bungie, a la Myth that we see that cycle of light and dark. As people have speculated in the past, "as tenacious as life is it has an antithesis just as powerful" could be simply referring to death. By that frame of logic, the Flood are as elemental to death as the Forerunner or the Covenant or humanity is to life. Pretty simple stuff, and yet it's the simple stuff that is usually overlooked.
Good thinking. "The simplest explaination is usually the correct one."
I wish I knew who said that. @_@
smallfry
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by smallfry »

Good thinking. "The simplest explaination is usually the correct one."
I wish I knew who said that. @_@[/quote]

William of Occam, called Occam's (or Ockham's) Razor for short.

That is, the saying is called Occam's Razor, William isn't. :)
theShadowfox
Data [Conditional]

smallfry wrote:Good thinking. "The simplest explaination is usually the correct one."
I wish I knew who said that. @_@

William of Occam, called Occam's (or Ockham's) Razor for short.

That is, the saying is called Occam's Razor, William isn't. :)[/quote]
Thanks.
ProfessorHojo05
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ProfessorHojo05 »

theShadowfox wrote:
That also seems far-fetched...And you are tieing it too much to the known religious event. Bungie is just obviously not creative when it comes to names (no one ever is...probably because creative names sound crazy).
Also, without space travel, the Flood would never have happened. How can nature, something usually only tied to a single body(i.e. a plant or star or something of that magnitude) incorporate space travel into its restart "program"?

Don't forget all the theories there have been that there are life forms out there who are able to travel through space on their own. Animals or something that naturally exist in vacume and propel themselves through any number of methods. The Flood probably have a way to travel through space without the help of a space fairing species, but in Halo 2 found it much easier and convenient to commandeer a human vessel.
alstrong
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by alstrong »

Sorry to step in here, but this has been nagging at me in my mind. Is the transcript from server 1 erroneously named Log5_Transcript or is the one from server 5 wrongly tagged? i.e. why are they named the same even though the first transcript is the "final entry" ?
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

alstrong wrote:Sorry to step in here, but this has been nagging at me in my mind. Is the transcript from server 1 erroneously named Log5_Transcript or is the one from server 5 wrongly tagged? i.e. why are they named the same even though the first transcript is the "final entry" ?
There is a difference of opinion on this... my belief is that it is an error, and is supposed to be the first transcript. I believe that the entire entry was made at one time by the same individual, but given to us in 5 separate pieces, with the last piece given to us being the most important (finally linking Earth to the Forerunner plan, etc.)