Log5_Transcript General Discussion

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Log5_Transcript General Discussion

Unread post by Echelon Three »

The anomalous world is in a perilous location beyond the line.
{/The secrets it holds must be preserved/}
{/Plans within plans within plans/}
The inhabitants; these unique denizens, must be researched.
They may hold answers to our own mysteries.
{/What irony that we discovered this treasure, only at the end of things./}
{/But what fortune that we still had time to save them./}
The thing we built on that world will vouchsafe their lives,
{/But perhaps one day it will be used for its intended purpose./}
If the plan succeeds, and they are saved, it will be a good world.
If the plan fails,
{/And the adversary succeeeds./}
it will remain an enigma forever
{/With no-one left to reclaim it./}
Earth "beyond the line"..."Treasure, only at the end of things"..."Intended purpose"... A lot of big things to discuss here. Shall we venture forth?

Don't have much time to read this thread, but to quell any dispute on who wrote this out, that'd be me.

-DH
Zero
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Log5_Transcript General Discussion

Unread post by Zero »

I was about finished too.

Did you get the first one from me by anychance?
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Actually, I just copy-pasted out of the Resources forum.
Cryptk5
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Cryptk5 »

It sounds like it is talking about the Ark, and to me it sounds like the ark has 2 functions. 1. to protect earth and 2. kill flood food outside earth maybe? (maybe the Ark = a halo and shield world all in one?**pure speculation**) The sentence with "Intended Purpose" is messing me up.
Last edited by Cryptk5 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zartael
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Zartael »

I was pondering this transcript over the last 30 minutes. It really suggests that during the Forerunner's fight against the Flood they discovered Earth. Something about earth, or at least the creatures here at the time was extraordinary in their eyes, something in our genes (Asian crocodile genes perhaps?) that would unlock some untold...galactic evolution or revolution maybe?

Unfortunately, Earth was in Flood-controlled territory and they had to quickly build protections to save us from the Halo firings and from the Flood. The protections they were making, they weren't sure they would work. It likely seemed hopeless during those last stages of their war. (Of course, why the Elites are considered to be fighting a 100,000 years war against the Flood from Halo 2 is another matter).

But if it did work, we would have that special seed to reclaim/redeem their legacy. To bring the fight to the Flood perhaps? To finish the fight...

The fact that the Ark's purpose as not a 'shield world' like Onyx is meaningful. Its got to be some sort of special knowledge station, something more. Knowledge is one of those few things that can be a sword and a shield, can let you know the past and future. But then what are the purposes of the Halo Installation Libraries- perhaps their catalog of the more mundane technical aspects of their society, the Ark itself may hold the big answers- the ability to transcend this mortal coil, to take the great journey? (Of course, then why would the Forerunners have failed, why were they worried about losing, failing? if they could just leave and transcend this mortal coil?)
Last edited by Zartael on Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Exactly, the Intended Purpose blows everything out of the water. Sure, the Ark has "vouchsafed" Earth's numerous species from the Halos in some way, but what is its true design? Perhaps something to do with the Forerunner ship Truth is barrelling toward Earth, possibly to dock with the Ark?
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Zartael wrote:I was pondering this transcript over the last 30 minutes. It really suggests that during the Forerunner's fight against the Flood they discovered Earth. Something about earth, or at least the creatures here at the time was extraordinary in their eyes, something in our genes (Asian crocodile genes perhaps?) that would unlock some untold...galactic evolution or revolution maybe?

Unfortunately, Earth was in Flood-controlled territory and they had to quickly build protections to save us from the Halo firings and from the Flood. The protections they were making, they weren't sure they would work. It likely seemed hopeless during those last stages of their war. (Of course, why the Elites are considered to be fighting a 100,000 years war against the Flood from Halo 2 is another matter).

But if it did work, we would have that special seed to reclaim/redeem their legacy. To bring the fight to the Flood perhaps? To finish the fight...
Perhaps what they saw was themselves in us. They wanted to give somebody a chance to fix the whole Flood problem, and they thought humanity was best fit to do it.
Zartael
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Zartael »

Echelon Three wrote:snip

Perhaps what they saw was themselves in us. They wanted to give somebody a chance to fix the whole Flood problem, and they thought humanity was best fit to do it.
Obviously, it doesn't tell us what makes us special; you can't do a genetic test to find 'humanity' or 'forerunner-ness'. It seems an awful mess for us (for John 117) to reclaim/redeem. Plus, if the Flood is extragalactic, doesn't it mean that we can never truly be safe? If the forerunner's couldn't do it, how can we? We haven't really been that prepared by all of their 'research' (obviously if the Covenant hadn't put so much pressure on us we would be in a better condition to fight the Flood, but then would we have found the Halos in time?), by their warnings. Honestly, there aren't many of us left. The more I consider this, the more I worry that indeed this will just be another Pyrrhic victory for the Forerunners.
Cryptk5
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Cryptk5 »

Another interesting question I just thought of was, How long did it take to build the Ark? The transcript makes it sound like they found Earth towards the end of the Forerunner Vs. Flood war. It also makes it sound like what you saying Echelon Three, that Earth was also behind Flood/Enemy lines. I could see if the Forerunners sent sentinel like builders (from Halo 3 comic) to build the Ark behind enemy lines but, at the end of Halo 2 you find out that the Ark is the place to go to activate all of the Halos. So it had to be in place for a while before the Halos were fired right?

Does that make sense? Im sorry if it doesnt, Im kinda tired...

P.S. Maybe thats what the sentence about "Intended Purpose" is about... Having the Ark be the place to go to fire all the halos.
SKR
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by SKR »

Zartael wrote:
Echelon Three wrote:snip

Obviously, it doesn't tell us what makes us special; you can't do a genetic test to find 'humanity' or 'forerunner-ness'. It seems an awful mess for us (for John 117) to reclaim/redeem. Plus, if the Flood is extragalactic, doesn't it mean that we can never truly be safe? If the forerunner's couldn't do it, how can we? We haven't really been that prepared by all of their 'research' (obviously if the Covenant hadn't put so much pressure on us we would be in a better condition to fight the Flood, but then would we have found the Halos in time?), by their warnings. Honestly, there aren't many of us left. The more I consider this, the more I worry that indeed this will just be another Pyrrhic victory for the Forerunners.
The Flood would not have been released if The Covenant weren't doing what they were doing. There's several mentions in the Novels to Master Chief's "familiarity" with Forerunner interfaces.

Hmm... Also, if the Flood were able to keep us alive, why couldn't they save themselves as well? Maybe something about our genetic structure made us immune to the Ring's firing, and the ARK protects us against the Flood, by keeping them away or something. Or, if they are following the theory of Evolution, they could tell that the little fishies would evolve into Humans(but the Halos were activated 100,000 years ago, when we were humans, not fishies, so that doesn't make sense.)