Log5_Transcript General Discussion

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Winter Soldier
Data [Undefined]

Re: Log5_Transcript General Discussion

Unread post by Winter Soldier »

I beleive that Earth (aka The Ark) is a safe world from the Halo blasts why else would all the Halos be able to be detonated from it. This is why the equation that someone figured out which determines that the last Halo detonation over lapped Human existence. Not only that but it also makes sense of Dr Volmans book that questions the missing links between ancient and current humans. This may be due to covenant interference and makes sense of the Halo comic that led to server 1 where the forerunners were on Earth in Africa. And this may be a hunch but they were probably attracted to Africa, because it as of then had the largest human population since it is basically the Cradle of civilization.

P.S. This next part may be off topic but I dont feel like going to the proper topic to explain but I have a crap connection. Way in the beginning of the ARG someone found coordinates in the middle of Africa this is probably the Ark's location since when interviewed about the first chapter Bungie stated that the ruins in the background were Mombasa which so happens to be a few miles from the coordinates.
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

Winter Soldier wrote:I beleive that Earth (aka The Ark) is a safe world from the Halo blasts why else would all the Halos be able to be detonated from it. This is why the equation that someone figured out which determines that the last Halo detonation over lapped Human existence. Not only that but it also makes sense of Dr Volmans book that questions the missing links between ancient and current humans. This may be due to covenant do you mean Forerunner here? interference and makes sense of the Halo comic that led to server 1 where the forerunners were on Earth in Africa. And this may be a hunch but they were probably attracted to Africa, because it as of then had the largest human population since it is basically the Cradle of civilization.

P.S. This next part may be off topic but I dont feel like going to the proper topic to explain but I have a crap connection. Way in the beginning of the ARG someone found coordinates in the middle of Africa this is probably the Ark's location since when interviewed about the first chapter Bungie stated that the ruins in the background were Mombasa which so happens to be a few miles from the coordinates.
Whoa. Independent versus dependent clauses are your friend. Please don't make them cry.

Anyway, the idea that Earth is actually outside the Halo Array's path is a possibility ("the anomalous world lies beyond the line"), though unlikely since we've found two Halo installations in our neck of the galaxy. Er, arm. Or whatever. (I believe this could be based on how quickly Regret could get to Delta Halo, in my opinion.)

Also, I agree that the concept that "modern" humans came out of Africa right after the Halos fired is more possible proof for the "Forerunners did something to us to make us SMRT" theory.
theShadowfox
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by theShadowfox »

Maimbot 9000 wrote:WHAT THE HELL

I think there's another race out there, one that came before all others and then vanished. Except not quite. This is a race so advanced that the Forerunners can't find them, but they're still here, watching. They are the civilization that left behind the buildings, which the Forerunners carefully moved to the Halos. They are the civilization that visited the Halos, recorded what they saw, and left. And they are the civilization that messed with human DNA, making us advance far faster than we would have otherwise. It is this last thing that makes us special to the Forerunners. They knew about Earth a long, long time ago--the shot of Pangea proves this. When they came back here and found us 100,000 years ago, they weren't expecting to find us in our current state. Something had happened to us. Which is why they were cataloging the DNA of every species on Earth--to try to figure out what had happened.

FINISH THE FIGHT

Remember Myth? Light and Dark in cycles, always fighting. Dark here is the Flood. Light is whatever race is sufficiently advanced to knock the Flood out of our galaxy for a while. These pre-Forerunner fought the Flood and lost. On their way out, they messed with Forerunner DNA to advance them, to get them ready to take over the fight. When it became clear the Forerunner weren't going to win, either, they came back and messed with us, as new contenders.
Okay, theres creative. And then theres overthinking.
The Forunners probably thrived as a species. They probably took the pictures of Pangea and came back later to influence our culture.
Now, if there were pre-Forerunners, they'd probably just be ancient Forerunners and they had lost a piece of their past (Due to Civil War or some dispute). Also, Cortana is an AI, but she isn't perfect. [AND Forerunner architecture is...well less than desirable for fighting Flood]
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

Maimbot 9000 wrote:WHAT THE HELL

I think there's another race out there, one that came before all others and then vanished. Except not quite. This is a race so advanced that the Forerunners can't find them, but they're still here, watching. They are the civilization that left behind the buildings, which the Forerunners carefully moved to the Halos. They are the civilization that visited the Halos, recorded what they saw, and left. And they are the civilization that messed with human DNA, making us advance far faster than we would have otherwise. It is this last thing that makes us special to the Forerunners. They knew about Earth a long, long time ago--the shot of Pangea proves this. When they came back here and found us 100,000 years ago, they weren't expecting to find us in our current state. Something had happened to us. Which is why they were cataloging the DNA of every species on Earth--to try to figure out what had happened.
I like the idea of another race being out there. And I'm pretty sure I remember the building on Reach being described as very different from those found on Halo 04. I think I threw out the idea of another race in one of the other threads (and I'm pretty sure it was around at HBO before then) a while back, but didn't really develop it much.

The other explanation for the differences in architecture between the two Halos we've seen is that Bungie made a mistake :P This may end up being something we have to over-look for the greater good and enjoyment of the story ;)
DaRrin W
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by DaRrin W »

Baratos wrote:The fact that it had a picture of Pangea suggests that the Forerunners were dealing with the Flood about 200 million years ago and discovered the Earth at that time. I say 200 instead of 250 (when Pangea was fully formed) because you can tell the continents had begun to split at the time the picture was taken. The creatures on the surface obivously impressed them.

I think the Forerunners ended up fighting the Flood for so long because neither group had discovered Slipspace at that point. It would have taken hundreds of years for the Flood to move from one system to another, and about 100,000 years for warnings of Flood from one side of the galaxy to reach the other side.
So wait a second. Alligators + Pangea (also missing an "a" depending on which way you spell it - Pangaea - maybe there's something in that as well)... Aren't alligators some of the oldest surviving decendents of dinosaurs? Would the downfall of dinosaurs be the link. Dino DNA? Earth's cross section with what looks like a rip in the crust already, and the Moon's phase chart with it as well... The moon was a chunk from the Earth which would link to the mysterious period the dino's died off, before or after Pangea broke up? The great extinction... More to ponder there
DaRrin W
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by DaRrin W »

Has anyone noticed there are two log5 videos? One from server 1 and one at server 5?
CtrlAltDestroy
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by CtrlAltDestroy »

For all intents and purposes, the "Log 5" video at server one should be considered the Log 1 video.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

theShadowfox wrote: Okay, theres creative. And then theres overthinking.
The Forunners probably thrived as a species. They probably took the pictures of Pangea and came back later to influence our culture.
Now, if there were pre-Forerunners, they'd probably just be ancient Forerunners and they had lost a piece of their past (Due to Civil War or some dispute). Also, Cortana is an AI, but she isn't perfect. [AND Forerunner architecture is...well less than desirable for fighting Flood]
It's fine if you disagree, but I don't know how any of that addresses anything I've said, aside from saying Cortana isn't perfect. Which is an odd thing to say--clearly we are meant to make something of her analyses on Delta Halo (of the architecture, and of the lake). Passing it off as "Oh, it's just Cortana being dumb" seems... well, I suppose that's as valid an interpretation as any other, but it doesn't sound like much fun.

Although, I admit, we ARE talking about the same AI who looked at the carved steel walls of an underground Forerunner structure and helpfully noted, "This cave is not a natural formation. Someone BUILT it."
theShadowfox
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by theShadowfox »

Maimbot 9000 wrote:
It's fine if you disagree, but I don't know how any of that addresses anything I've said, aside from saying Cortana isn't perfect. Which is an odd thing to say--clearly we are meant to make something of her analyses on Delta Halo (of the architecture, and of the lake). Passing it off as "Oh, it's just Cortana being dumb" seems... well, I suppose that's as valid an interpretation as any other, but it doesn't sound like much fun.

Although, I admit, we ARE talking about the same AI who looked at the carved steel walls of an underground Forerunner structure and helpfully noted, "This cave is not a natural formation. Someone BUILT it."
True. (I wasn't saying she was being dumb, it just seems shes been a bit...buggy after absorbing all that data off of Alpha Halo.) When she made that note, it was next to useless tactical wise(The Forerunners built the ring whose to say they didn't build the surface????) but more of a comfort to MC (wouldn't you want some one to say something when you're stressed out to get your mind off it?).
Perhaps those "old" structures were where the Forerunners had won a small victory and placed them there in hopes of another victory.
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

theShadowfox wrote:
Maimbot 9000 wrote:

True. (I wasn't saying she was being dumb, it just seems shes been a bit...buggy after absorbing all that data off of Alpha Halo.) When she made that note, it was next to useless tactical wise(The Forerunners built the ring whose to say they didn't build the surface????) but more of a comfort to MC (wouldn't you want some one to say something when you're stressed out to get your mind off it?).
Perhaps those "old" structures were where the Forerunners had won a small victory and placed them there in hopes of another victory.
Or perhaps these structures are their original structures, their ancient monuments and Wonders of the Ancient Forerunner World, and they moved them carefully to the Halos where they knew they would be better preserved. I see a lot of similarities between the two styles, though the modern architecture of the Halos is cleaner.

"Someone built it...so it must lead somewhere." You don't say Cortana!