Log5_Transcript General Discussion

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

theShadowfox
Data [Conditional]

Re: Log5_Transcript General Discussion

Unread post by theShadowfox »

ProfessorHojo05 wrote:
theShadowfox wrote:
That also seems far-fetched...And you are tieing it too much to the known religious event. Bungie is just obviously not creative when it comes to names (no one ever is...probably because creative names sound crazy).
Also, without space travel, the Flood would never have happened. How can nature, something usually only tied to a single body(i.e. a plant or star or something of that magnitude) incorporate space travel into its restart "program"?

Don't forget all the theories there have been that there are life forms out there who are able to travel through space on their own. Animals or something that naturally exist in vacume and propel themselves through any number of methods. The Flood probably have a way to travel through space without the help of a space fairing species, but in Halo 2 found it much easier and convenient to commandeer a human vessel.
Okay, how would the Flood travel through space on their own? They don't expel anything, they can't move things without touching them. They can explode but how are they going to leave the atmosphere in the first place? Gravity maybe the weakest of the four forces of the universe, but it still keeps you on the ground extremely well. So Flood can't get into space, and can't travel in it. And maybe they'd die in it.(lack of pressure could pop a parasite form)
Also, those space organisms would be extremely rare. Space is really big (thats why its called Space) so there is very little of anything in it. So whatever they eat (they have to eat everything eats) would be hard to find. Before you say, "They could just sit near a star and get their energy from it." No they can't. Photosynthesis requires carbon-dioxide and water. I don't think you can get those in space in large quantities. So to be brief, they would need materials outside their body.
theShadowfox
Data [Conditional]

ii otnemem ii wrote:
alstrong wrote:Sorry to step in here, but this has been nagging at me in my mind. Is the transcript from server 1 erroneously named Log5_Transcript or is the one from server 5 wrongly tagged? i.e. why are they named the same even though the first transcript is the "final entry" ?
There is a difference of opinion on this... my belief is that it is an error, and is supposed to be the first transcript. I believe that the entire entry was made at one time by the same individual, but given to us in 5 separate pieces, with the last piece given to us being the most important (finally linking Earth to the Forerunner plan, etc.)
Theres also a possibility for each transcript to only be a piece of what the Forerunner wrote for that log. I think 5 from server one and 5 from server five are two pieces of the same log. Maybe one is the continuation of the other.
ProfessorHojo05
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ProfessorHojo05 »

theShadowfox wrote:

Don't forget all the theories there have been that there are life forms out there who are able to travel through space on their own. Animals or something that naturally exist in vacume and propel themselves through any number of methods. The Flood probably have a way to travel through space without the help of a space fairing species, but in Halo 2 found it much easier and convenient to commandeer a human vessel.
Okay, how would the Flood travel through space on their own? They don't expel anything, they can't move things without touching them. They can explode but how are they going to leave the atmosphere in the first place? Gravity maybe the weakest of the four forces of the universe, but it still keeps you on the ground extremely well. So Flood can't get into space, and can't travel in it. And maybe they'd die in it.(lack of pressure could pop a parasite form)
Also, those space organisms would be extremely rare. Space is really big (thats why its called Space) so there is very little of anything in it. So whatever they eat (they have to eat everything eats) would be hard to find. Before you say, "They could just sit near a star and get their energy from it." No they can't. Photosynthesis requires carbon-dioxide and water. I don't think you can get those in space in large quantities. So to be brief, they would need materials outside their body.[/quote]

Did you consider that there may be Flood forms we haven't seen yet? Remember the flood infected Captain Keyes? Perhaps there is one that is meant to fly, or at least reach orbit. Then there is the possibility that they can form a group large and powerful enough to launch a mass of them into space on a trajectory for another planet (unlikely as it may be for that accuracy to be reached) and they enter a state of suspended animation till they reach that planet. The outer group would mutate into some kind of super dens material to protect those inside who would infest the new planet.
sassafras
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by sassafras »

ProfessorHojo05 wrote:
theShadowfox wrote: Don't forget all the theories there have been that there are life forms out there who are able to travel through space on their own. Animals or something that naturally exist in vacume and propel themselves through any number of methods. The Flood probably have a way to travel through space without the help of a space fairing species, but in Halo 2 found it much easier and convenient to commandeer a human vessel.
Also, those space organisms would be extremely rare. Space is really big (thats why its called Space) so there is very little of anything in it. So whatever they eat (they have to eat everything eats) would be hard to find. Before you say, "They could just sit near a star and get their energy from it." No they can't. Photosynthesis requires carbon-dioxide and water. I don't think you can get those in space in large quantities. So to be brief, they would need materials outside their body.

Did you consider that there may be Flood forms we haven't seen yet? Remember the flood infected Captain Keyes? Perhaps there is one that is meant to fly, or at least reach orbit. Then there is the possibility that they can form a group large and powerful enough to launch a mass of them into space on a trajectory for another planet (unlikely as it may be for that accuracy to be reached) and they enter a state of suspended animation till they reach that planet. The outer group would mutate into some kind of super dens material to protect those inside who would infest the new planet.
Have either of you actually read any of the books or played any of the games? The flood can very easily move from planet to planet. They infest and infect anything of sufficient biomass to sustain their infection. From Halo 2 we know that they learn from their hosts and can gain new skills like piloting In Amber Clad to High Charity. In Ghosts of Onyx, we learn that the Flood can send out carrier forms in the vacuum of space and they can take over Covenant ships that way.

In other words, why are we proposing all these fancy new classes of Flood that probably don't exist? I was under the assumption that we'd already determined there where four forms, period. That aside, it's extremely easy for the flood to spread when they have easy access to a race with thousands of space faring vessels such as the Covenant or the human fleets (or for that matter, the Forerunner did). I don't really think it needs to be argued such as that.

Plus, this is all completely off topic because none of this has anything to do with the transcript.
theShadowfox
Data [Conditional]

sassafras wrote:
Have either of you actually read any of the books or played any of the games? The flood can very easily move from planet to planet. They infest and infect anything of sufficient biomass to sustain their infection. From Halo 2 we know that they learn from their hosts and can gain new skills like piloting In Amber Clad to High Charity. In Ghosts of Onyx, we learn that the Flood can send out carrier forms in the vacuum of space and they can take over Covenant ships that way.

In other words, why are we proposing all these fancy new classes of Flood that probably don't exist? I was under the assumption that we'd already determined there where four forms, period. That aside, it's extremely easy for the flood to spread when they have easy access to a race with thousands of space faring vessels such as the Covenant or the human fleets (or for that matter, the Forerunner did). I don't really think it needs to be argued such as that.

Plus, this is all completely off topic because none of this has anything to do with the transcript.
How can you ask that? We probably wouldn't even play this ARG if we didn't at least play the games. This side conversation started because I pointed out the Flood wouldn't be a threat with out space travel. In order to counter me others began to think that there could be more than four forms of Flood.
As you pointed out, this is off topic, but conversations tend to get off topic.
Okay, the transcript says the Forerunners were going to vouchsafe Earth with a device, and hoped that "It will be used for its intended purpose." Perhaps the Ark is also a weapon.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Maimbot 9000 wrote:Okay, I'm going to throw a bunch of stuff together and see what sticks.

THESIS
The Forerunners had forerunners--they themselves were trying to find the remnants of some ancient (to them) civilization that had preceded them, and then disappeared.

SUPPORT
Consider: The transcript calls us "unique denizens." Denizen:

1. an inhabitant; resident.
2. a person who regularly frequents a place; habitué: the denizens of a local bar.
3. British. an alien admitted to residence and to certain rights of citizenship in a country.
4. anything adapted to a new place, condition, etc., as an animal or plant not indigenous to a place but successfully naturalized.

[from dictionary.com]

Consider: In "Conversations from the Universe," 343 says this:

"A primitive, hegemonizing swarm calling itself The Covenant has landed on Installation 04. Apparently seeking something specific. Exploring! Meddling! I've seen it all before. They'll record what they see and they'll leave."

Consider: The buildings on Delta Halo that Cortana noted were far older than the Halos themselves, and appeared to have been somewhat lovingly preserved, perhaps even revered. They do not look anything like the other Forerunner architecture we have seen.

WHAT THE HELL

I think there's another race out there, one that came before all others and then vanished. Except not quite. This is a race so advanced that the Forerunners can't find them, but they're still here, watching. They are the civilization that left behind the buildings, which the Forerunners carefully moved to the Halos. They are the civilization that visited the Halos, recorded what they saw, and left. And they are the civilization that messed with human DNA, making us advance far faster than we would have otherwise. It is this last thing that makes us special to the Forerunners. They knew about Earth a long, long time ago--the shot of Pangea proves this. When they came back here and found us 100,000 years ago, they weren't expecting to find us in our current state. Something had happened to us. Which is why they were cataloging the DNA of every species on Earth--to try to figure out what had happened.

FINISH THE FIGHT

Remember Myth? Light and Dark in cycles, always fighting. Dark here is the Flood. Light is whatever race is sufficiently advanced to knock the Flood out of our galaxy for a while. These pre-Forerunner fought the Flood and lost. On their way out, they messed with Forerunner DNA to advance them, to get them ready to take over the fight. When it became clear the Forerunner weren't going to win, either, they came back and messed with us, as new contenders.
Boast post! :D
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

ProfessorHojo05 wrote:
theShadowfox wrote:

Did you consider that there may be Flood forms we haven't seen yet? Remember the flood infected Captain Keyes? Perhaps there is one that is meant to fly, or at least reach orbit. Then there is the possibility that they can form a group large and powerful enough to launch a mass of them into space on a trajectory for another planet (unlikely as it may be for that accuracy to be reached) and they enter a state of suspended animation till they reach that planet. The outer group would mutate into some kind of super dens material to protect those inside who would infest the new planet.[/quote]

[spoiler]in the last level, doesn't Cortana say something about flood dispersion pods?[/spoiler] While maybe not slipspace capable, it's a way to get around
LordOsiris
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by LordOsiris »

Yes, she does, but i think that those were just pods from high charity/ other flod controlled ships, not a way of getting out of the atmosphere.