[General Discussion] Server 3 Reward

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Re: [General Discussion] Server 3 Reward

Unread post by thebruce »

Avateur, you beat me to the sentiments! :)

As much as we hate to say it, he didn't do anything "wrong", nor is anyone who is just in this for the swag. There are no "rules". There are only communities and the sentiments expressed by the mass - which is, please, take one a move along!

I do find irony in the people complaining that it's not about swag, then complaining when someone takes more than one. I do agree it's unfair, and I do agree that people who work for the servers should be rewarded. I'm glad Avateur mentioned that fact DHalo gave away his key by his own choice, and that's a very self-less thing to do.

And no, before I get jumped on - I'm not saying this because I managed to finally get a key for server 5 - there's no guarantee I'll get anything since I don't believe anyone else from Canada has reported receiving anything. That puts me in the same boat as anyone outside the US who's helped unlock a server. Also, I've always said these very same things since the beginning, so nothing's changed here. Also, don't say I deserve a key, because I'm as much a player as anyone else, even if I maintain an organized wiki.

The fact of the matter is,
1) as Avateur said, what's done is done.
2) There are no rules about reward claiming
3) "reward" isn't defined here as "solving the puzzles leading up to the server", it's simply, from the entity's perspective, helping unlock - which means claiming a key
4) The community exists for a reason - to help each other, to encourage sharing of information and entertainment - selflessness is encouraged, but not required: people will like you and respect you more, however, if you are like that
5) Hating on people for not breaking rules is discouraged
6) This is not an ARG
8) This is a marketing campaign with prizes
9) There is a backstory that is being unveiled over time, but that does not an ARG make
10) Be friendly, don't spam
11) If you must hate on someone, hate on the marketing team behind Iris (NOT Bungie) for their mistakes :P (even then, please try to avoid that, but rather be constructive)
12) I love point form summaries
13) This is lucky number 13. Only because there's no number 7 ;)
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

Avateur wrote:This entire topic has turned into a giant flame-fest. The fact of the matter is, Microsoft chose to make Iris about rewards instead of just waiting to give the packages out at the very end. No one knew what reward would come after Server 1, just that something would happen. It's in his right to go for keys, even if it's distasteful and poor sportsmanship.

Those who actually worked to unlock the servers deserve the keys. In my opinion, DHalo should have taken his Server 3 key because he led to the public unlocking of it. He was selfless and gave it away, but that was his choice. It's my opinion that if you work to unlock a server, the key should be yours. If you don't, it shouldn't. The point is, the rewards are there and the keys are there for anyone. It's frowned upon, but it's their choice.

Stop harassing .Zip. He gets the point. The point is, it's too late now. All 5 Servers have been activated. Everyone needs to drop it and get back on topic.

As a note to the Mods, I have deleted all but a few posts pertaining to the argument and flaming after letting them sit for an hour or so.
I appreciate the sentiments, but if you think about it...no, I shouldn't have taken the server 03 key IMO. I firmly believe that, yes, I did contribute heavily to the final discovery before the BPC, but everyone else did a lot of grunt work that I have no skills at doing. Everyone who contributed to the unlocking of each server deserved a reward, and I consider that reward to be knowledge. However, the physical rewards are limited, so I believe that everyone who contributed ALSO deserves a prize. Thus, people who take multiple prizes IMO steal the physical proof of participation from those who might deserve it. People who were there all the time to help solve pieces of the puzzle deserve the rewards, physical and knowledgeable. I hope everyone who deserved a prize got one (unlikely, even IF everyone had taken just 1), but I know for sure that not everyone who got a prize deserved one.

I just get very hyped up when I see people taking more than one prize, and I've never seen them before in my time here. I might be falsely accusing, and that's my bad if so, but to me it just doesn't make sense. The physical rewards of this game has caused much strife and even though I enjoy having a copy of GoO autographed by the guru Eric Nylund, I don't NEED it. I don't think the game is about the prizes but I hate seeing others focused on that aspect. IMO Microsoft shoulda sent them out post-game.

Also, I know that some community members appreciate my efforts. I have gotten public and private acknowledgement for my assistance. I also brought the server 05 BPC to #args very shortly before it closed AS WELL as server 03's. Yet my work and dedication to this game is no greater than ANY OTHER PERSON HERE who has sat and spent time theorizing and solving clues. In many cases my dedication is OUTMATCHED by others here, and I'm proud to work along side such a bright community.

The prize aspect of this game has corrupted the goal of this game. Microsoft made a bad move.

I ask that no one deletes this message. It is my heavy rant to the community.

All in all, this community has pleased me quite well with its teamwork and dedication to a common goal. Some people's goal were skewed which caused strife among us all. However, those of us who still knew what our true goal was kept true to it. THEY are the people who made this game enjoyable. THEY are the people who made this game what it is.

THEY ARE THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE THIS COMMUNITY WHAT IT IS, AND FOR THAT I THANK THEM.
Ibeechu
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Ibeechu »

DHalo and Avateur have just won the Internet.
AfRo SaUcE
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by AfRo SaUcE »

Ibeechu wrote:DHalo and Avateur have just won the Internet.
Lmao.

I got a quick question, mainly cause I left for a short time, what is DHL? I got to Unlock Server 5, I was in #arg when DHalo posted it and thanks again, D. I'm in this for the story but like many said, who doesn't want swag? Especially for Halo 3. Anyway, lets just get back to Server 3's rewards and hope someone can report to us with their package.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

DHL is a delivery company, like UPS or Federal Express (Fed Ex).
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

DHL = Package Delivery Service.
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

Woah, I think we did that at the same second. It didn't warn me about another post before me. XD
AfRo SaUcE
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by AfRo SaUcE »

Ah, kool, thanks guys.
Mjonir
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Mjonir »

I think they should give some semi-public reward. For exemple, giving a mystery that, once solved, will give a code valid only for 1 day unlocking a special GamerPic. That would cost them nothing, that would reward the entire Iris community and only people who are following it, giving them some distinction.

Now, I got my key (well, I hope it'll be shipped to Belgium :P), but I remember the deception of the near miss with already 5 other openings (including the Server 02 false keys), giving something to everybody would calm the community and make people happy.
Kiaffex
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Kiaffex »

Avateur wrote:In my opinion, DHalo should have taken his Server 3 key because he led to the public unlocking of it. He was selfless and gave it away, but that was his choice.
And I thank him for that. By using his key I was able to help unlock Server 03.

Thanks DHalo! You rock!