Vanishing stars in Server 5?

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Omega Hunter 9
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Vanishing stars in Server 5?

Unread post by Omega Hunter 9 »

EliteSniper177 wrote:what if thisnt server 5 related, but is for after server 5?
BUM BUM BUUUM

Well, a good many of us think the servers are a set up for the big one....whatever that'l be. Although the artifact location is probably Server 5 stuff, they can't activate websites too early.
zoned out
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by zoned out »

I never played the ilovebees ARG but wasn't the reward for completing the game a sneak peek

to halo 2. Well what if this site shows the location for a showing of halo3? Maybe thats the final

prize!
Omega Hunter 9
Data [Authenticated]

zoned out wrote:I never played the ilovebees ARG but wasn't the reward for completing the game a sneak peek

to halo 2. Well what if this site shows the location for a showing of halo3? Maybe thats the final

prize!
A gamerpic pack or special map would be better. What we need to consider is that for each city, it may end up being a different sequence, which rules out an IP address and makes the phone number look more and more likely. I don't mean the IP of the site, just the random series of numbers.
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

Omega Hunter 9 wrote:
zoned out wrote:I never played the ilovebees ARG but wasn't the reward for completing the game a sneak peek

prize!
A gamerpic pack or special map would be better. What we need to consider is that for each city, it may end up being a different sequence, which rules out an IP address and makes the phone number look more and more likely. I don't mean the IP of the site, just the random series of numbers.
Phone number is probably the most promising. My theory is that we will have to do a reverse lookup, finding the name or business or location tied to the number that appears... maybe it'll be a public payphone (a la ILB)?
Darkphibre
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Darkphibre »

Ugh. :( Wish I read this thread before I wrote my applications. I didn't realize all the discussion was in General until I created an account and tried to reply to the locked thread in Episode 5.

At any rate, 2000 screencaps later (running 20 star instances at a time), and they are random:

And I was just wrapping up my OCR code to extract the 62k snaps of text (totalling 1GB in bitmaps). :x

Talk about a 10 hour waste of an afternoon.
EliteSniper177
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by EliteSniper177 »

Also, from the XML:

<messages>
<message msgString="NEW YORK // " random="true"/>
<message msgString="SEATTLE // " random="true"/>
<message msgString="LOS ANGELES // " random="true"/>
</messages>

Edit: nvm, thats for the text
Darkphibre
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Darkphibre »

EliteSniper177 wrote:Also, from the XML:

<messages>
<message msgString="NEW YORK // " random="true"/>
<message msgString="SEATTLE // " random="true"/>
<message msgString="LOS ANGELES // " random="true"/>
</messages>

Edit: nvm, thats for the text
I changed my HOSTS file to point to my own copy of the XML, but all it does is get rid of the text, and provide a (random) star field with stars that disappear (instead of stars that "twinkle")
joseph
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by joseph »

Darkphibre wrote: I changed my HOSTS file to point to my own copy of the XML, but all it does is get rid of the text, and provide a (random) star field with stars that disappear (instead of stars that "twinkle")
I mirrored it all and started tweaking the XML as well. When I set all the randoms to FALSE, it just displayed:

NEW YORK //
SEATTLE //
LOS ANGELES //

Nothing after the slashes. So the strings in the XML are exactly whats displayed, changing them around probably won't do much. I doubt we'll be able to get anything useful by tweaking the XML.

When it's time for shell.swf and arc.swf to give us something useful, they'll update the XML on their side with the information.
Omega Hunter 9
Data [Authenticated]

Just to fan the flames, I'd like to remind everyone that the Iris symbol in the back of the Artifact Location has its small circle at the top....the spoke of Server 5.
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

Actually, if you recall, that was the position of the 1st server, but in the first server, starimage1 had the top left. While the servers are counting clockwise (up), the starimages are counting counterclockwise (down).

So starimage1 was showing the '5th' glyph, then starimage2 the '4th', then the 3rd, and the 2nd, now server 5 is obviously associated with the starimage glyph '1'.

The starimages have been counting down while we progress through the servers.
The glyph in the background of theartifactlocation.com is the '1st' glyph, ala Server/episode 1.