Phyrric

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Sable
Data [Conditional]

Re: Phyrric

Unread post by Sable »

No, I wouldn't say that Cortana blowing up IAC would be considered a pyrrhic victory. Boiled down, a pyrrhic victory is one where although you may be technically victorious, you have suffered such grevious injury (The collapse of an economy to drive a war effort, the loss of your entire military in the defense against one enemy when there are others waiting in the wings) that it doesn't matter and you may have lost anyway, the ultimate outcome is so similar.
mike g
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by mike g »

doesnt the word phyrric when it was used in the servers predate the words roots in the english language?
if so the only explenation i can think up is that the forerunners were more involved in human history than i thought
Matriculate
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Matriculate »

mike g wrote:doesnt the word phyrric when it was used in the servers predate the words roots in the english language?
if so the only explenation i can think up is that the forerunners were more involved in human history than i thought

Technically, all the words used on the servers "pre-date" the english language. But, this wouldn't be a very fun game if everything was made up drivel, would it?
ClownX
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ClownX »

I pretty much think that the Halos are a Phyrric solution. We beat the Flood, but everyone will be dead, victory at all costs.
simonmuran
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by simonmuran »

In Greek mythology, Pyrrha was the daughter of Epimetheus and Pandora and wife of Deucalion. When Zeus decided to end the Bronze Age with the great deluge, Deucalion and his wife, Pyrrha, were the only survivors. Prometheus told his son, Deucalion, to build an ark and, thus, they survived. During the flood, they landed on Mount Parnassus, the only place spared by the flood.
here's a link to the "full" story http://library.thinkquest.org/26264/myt ... ite005.htm