sample1000101.txt

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Re: sample1000101.txt

Unread post by Lurono »

IrisCorven wrote:Before I ask, since this is me being... Totally ridiculously... "Could this POSSIBLY be related", type of thing... I'm fresh out of High School. So I barely understand much of what's being said, only by researching as I go along...

But, since a lot of what has been said has included the "Chinese Alligator" thing...

And someone else mentioned applying things to the Halo 'verse...

Is there any chance a Chinese Alligator may show any sort of brain activity that mirrors the effects of "Boren's Syndrome"?... That's stupid, I know... But I figured i'd atleast attempt to bring it up. Cause maybe there could be something about neutralization of the Flood that doesn't require mass genocide?

This is all theory, of course...
That's actually an alright idea, deffinately original. I haven't seen Boren's mentioned in a long time... Nearly forgot about it myself. I doubt it has anything to do with the alligators, but perhaps we can tweak this idea a little...

I highly doubt that the Forerunner knew about the existence of Boren's Syndrome, otherwise, it would have made more sense for them to intentionally make everyone have it. Or, it's also possible, that Boren's Syndrome was deadly to most aliens, and only a few humans could survive it? It could be one of those many other plans that the Forerunner tried. Maybe we will see Boren's pop up in H3? Or maybe it will be in Uprising? Most likely we will hear about it again in one of the next upcoming Halo books? Still so many questions 8-)
theteal1
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by theteal1 »

Lurono wrote:
IrisCorven wrote:Before I ask, since this is me being... Totally ridiculously... "Could this POSSIBLY be related", type of thing... I'm fresh out of High School. So I barely understand much of what's being said, only by researching as I go along...

But, since a lot of what has been said has included the "Chinese Alligator" thing...

Is there any chance a Chinese Alligator may show any sort of brain activity that mirrors the effects of "Boren's Syndrome"?... That's stupid, I know... But I figured i'd atleast attempt to bring it up. Cause maybe there could be something about neutralization of the Flood that doesn't require mass genocide?

That's actually an alright idea, deffinately original. I haven't seen Boren's mentioned in a long time... Nearly forgot about it myself. I doubt it has anything to do with the alligators, but perhaps we can tweak this idea a little...

I highly doubt that the Forerunner knew about the existence of Boren's Syndrome, otherwise, it would have made more sense for them to intentionally make everyone have it. Or, it's also possible, that Boren's Syndrome was deadly to most aliens, and only a few humans could survive it? It could be one of those many other plans that the Forerunner tried. Maybe we will see Boren's pop up in H3? Or maybe it will be in Uprising? Most likely we will hear about it again in one of the next upcoming Halo books? Still so many questions 8-)
I'd bet on it being in Staten's new book, since that is about Johnson and all...
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

theteal1 wrote:
Lurono wrote:

I'd bet on it being in Staten's new book, since that is about Johnson and all...
Boren's was mentioned as being due to high-yeild radiation, and although we all know how radioactive things can cause genetic issues, it was Johnson's neurological issues that forced the flood out. From what we can tell, the Forerunners were geneticists for the most part, so any sort of neurological symptom would have been impossible to duplicate, no matter how much you fiddle about with the DNA.
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

Once again, Staten stated that Johnson's "immunity" is not canon, and there's no evidence Johnson was even attacked or infected by the flood... As of this point, Bungie's stance is that no immunity to the flood has been found.
Ceantari
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ceantari »

My take on Johnson was just a "running gag" of finding him everywhere live or die. It was like a, "Ah, there's Sergeant Johnson! What weapon does he have in stock this time?" or a, "Let's see how long he'll survive this next encounter." He's too tongue-in-cheeck to be taken seriously, in my opinion.
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

thebruce wrote:regarding the binary:

there are 35 digits, or 5 sets of 7, often used for ascii. The only readable (note, not legible) translation with no leftover binary is that grouping.

to ascii, 0111101 0100010 1010010 1101101 0110101 becomes ="Rm5
or in decimal, "61 34 82 109 53"

the other numbers at the top:

Code: Select all

<planet---#> 0001000
<category-#> 1011010
<index----#> 1110101
<sample---#> 1000101
(also 7 digits) are

BKSP (8)
Z (90)
u (117)
E (69)
* Planet:8 - the 8th planet is neptune (unless the number is 0-based, in which case it's 9, or Pluto - which might mean it's a reference to our solar system with 9 planets (though outdated:P))
* Category:Z - not sure
* Index:117 - common number :cool:
* Sample:E - Earth?

<planet---#> 0001000
<category-#> 1011010
<index----#> 1110101
<sample---#> 1000101
Re: Planet -- I thought this might be more along the lines of a "True/False" indicator, allowing for life found on multiple planets... so, it is "False" for the first 3 planets, but "True" for the fourth, which is Mars (in our solar system, at least). And it also gives Neptune (and Pluto) teh finger, which just isn't nice.
Re: Category -- I have 2 possible leads:
**Category Z could be speaking of Z-DNA. I am not geneticist (had you fooled, didn't I :) ), so you'll have to tell me.
**Category 90 could be speaking of NASA's Category 90, Astrophysics. I am not an Astrophysicist ( :shock: ), so again, you'll have to tell me.

As for the 35-digit binary string, convert it to decimal, and you have 16447223477, which looked to me a lot like 1 (644) 722-3477, which is NOT A VALID PHONE NUMBER (I don't want to start that again ;) ); there isn't even a 644 area code.
I also noticed that there was a 16 and 223 in there, which is 2 of the 4 parts to our IP addresses. Probably nothing, though.

A co-worker of mine mentioned this: if the Planet, Category, etc... were binary representations of numbers/ASCII characters, why would the researcher limit themselves to 255 samples? It's like a binary Y2K bug just waiting to happen.

...anyway, those are my two cents... and we all know what most people do with pennies ;) .
Spuff
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Spuff »

My friend and I found a compare program and compared the 2 documents, then saved the report. I figured I'd link it to you guys if you wanted to hunt for anything. I uploaded it to my site:

http://spartanvselite.com/iris/Report.html
Andorhal
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Andorhal »

thebruce wrote:Once again, Staten stated that Johnson's "immunity" is not canon, and there's no evidence Johnson was even attacked or infected by the flood... As of this point, Bungie's stance is that no immunity to the flood has been found.
Well Johnson was attacked by the flood in Halo: Combat Evolved, Master Chief saw it in the record of one of the soldiers, I don't remember now but the fact that he wasn't infected when he was attacked mean that he want immune, you could be touched and rip a flood off and be immune, unless we actually get medical on him or get a statement from Bungie theres no way to confirm or deny whether he has immunity.
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

Andorhal wrote:
thebruce wrote:Once again, Staten stated that Johnson's "immunity" is not canon, and there's no evidence Johnson was even attacked or infected by the flood... As of this point, Bungie's stance is that no immunity to the flood has been found.
Well Johnson was attacked by the flood in Halo: Combat Evolved, Master Chief saw it in the record of one of the soldiers, I don't remember now but the fact that he wasn't infected when he was attacked mean that he want immune, you could be touched and rip a flood off and be immune, unless we actually get medical on him or get a statement from Bungie theres no way to confirm or deny whether he has immunity.
I hope Bungie makes this clearer in the future... If they didn't want it to be canon, it shouldn't have been in the book.

Perhaps an updated edition of the book is in order?

I do understand the concept of Sarge being a running gag of sorts. Sarge is actually one of my favorite characters in the Halo series. I do, however, think that, for the sake of our sanity, they need some sort of explanation. If they would just come out and say "He lived because he is a total badass," then that would actually work for me! I do like the idea that he might be a Spartan I, though... Can't wait to see how that turns out :D
sassafras
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by sassafras »

I hope Bungie makes this clearer in the future... If they didn't want it to be canon, it shouldn't have been in the book.

Perhaps an updated edition of the book is in order?

I do understand the concept of Sarge being a running gag of sorts. Sarge is actually one of my favorite characters in the Halo series. I do, however, think that, for the sake of our sanity, they need some sort of explanation. If they would just come out and say "He lived because he is a total badass," then that would actually work for me! I do like the idea that he might be a Spartan I, though... Can't wait to see how that turns out :D
Ok, can anyone just admit that the reason why Sargeant Johnson is still alive is that he's everyones favorite (non-MC) character? Killing him off was unacceptable. He lives because at the end of Halo: CE when we think he has eaten a bullet, everyone died a little bit inside. I know I did. When he was back in Halo 2, I felt like a new man. I was young again. Of course he lives, it really doesn't matter how much canon, or Boren's symdrome or whatever he has going for him. How are you going to kill off an angry black man? ... Unless you replace him with Sgt. Johnson Jr, voiced by Sam "Mother Fúcking" Jackson. ...But I digress...

For the record, I think Boren's syndrome is named officially in GoO (at least) and explained. Of course, I don't think it's really going to factor into the plot in any significant way. That's like telling a wonderful story that you can't get yourself out of and just explaining it away as a dream or deus ex machina... I won't have it.
Re: Planet -- I thought this might be more along the lines of a "True/False" indicator, allowing for life found on multiple planets... so, it is "False" for the first 3 planets, but "True" for the fourth, which is Mars (in our solar system, at least). And it also gives Neptune (and Pluto) teh finger, which just isn't nice.
Re: Category -- I have 2 possible leads:
**Category Z could be speaking of Z-DNA. I am not geneticist (had you fooled, didn't I :) ), so you'll have to tell me.
I doubt it references Z-DNA. It's still a mostly hypothetical makeup for DNA. Based on torsional strain, it appears that it might help when unwound for replication, but we don't see it very often anywhere. It's not like different DNA, it's just that B-DNA (which is the most common) can sort of twist itself (without breaking) into Z-DNA, or A-DNA when coaxed. The sequence and chemical makeup is the same. I don't think that what form the sequence is in would matter for any study, whatsoever.