sample1000101.txt

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Re: sample1000101.txt

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

I was under the impression that the only life being sampled by the forerunners was inteligent stuff to be indexed in the ark. Why they'd record data on an aligator (obviously not the smartest thing on this planet) is beyond me.

Additionally, there are many small DNA variances in each member of a species. This gator probably isn't extremely different, it's just different from the one the scientists used to get the original gene sequence.

Frankly, I'd need to say is that the file was there to keep us scrambling while they worked out Artifact Location. Let's give the folks some alligator DNA to keem 'em busy.
spartan117
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by spartan117 »

or maybe elites evolved from this DNA. maybe testing was evident?
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

spartan117 wrote:or maybe elites evolved from this DNA. maybe testing was evident?
no more likely than us having evolved from chimps. Main point being that what I think you're trying to suggest is that the reptile in question and the elites evolved from a common ancestor. Considering an elite's physical appearance, I don't really see anything that would support it, but you can never really tell what will happen if you tamper enough with genetics. In the sample though, tampering was kept to a minimum (if it is tampering and not some faulty/virus infested/cancerous cell). Long story short, I just don't see it.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

APF wrote:I get the impression that the Forerunners sampled a whole bunch of life, clearly from Earth and possibly from other places too and that this is just one sample. Server 5 told us that there is something special about Earth but I doubt the 'gator is that.
I do suspect that this DNA was just sort of randomly chosen and doesn't mean anything specific--we all know how most of the clues in this game turned out--but if it DOES mean something, consider this. The Forerunners thought we were special, yes. They also (as we also learned on Server 5) thought they were special in some way they couldn't explain. There seemed to be some mystery about their origins. That to me suggests something funny about their DNA, or a missing link in their evolution, or something similar.

If they found something funny in our DNA, they might have been testing other animals on Earth, to see if only we had the strange characteristic, or if it was something common to all life on the planet. The alligator was just one of many, many samples.